Synopsis writing - HELP!

Katwalk

Right!

I've finished my children's novel, and it is a novel (70,000 words! Aargh), it's completely original and now I'm down to the 'simple' task of writing the synopsis...What a nightmare!

I can't really compare it to any other book I've read so I guess I'm looking at a complete chapter breakdown?

How long are these things supposed to be? My first draft is two pages - that took a lot of work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

:help:Kate

Right!

I've finished my children's novel, and it is a novel (70,000 words! Aargh), it's completely original and now I'm down to the 'simple' task of writing the synopsis...What a nightmare!

I can't really compare it to any other book I've read so I guess I'm looking at a complete chapter breakdown?

How long are these things supposed to be? My first draft is two pages - that took a lot of work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

:help:Kate

I'm assuming your first move is to look for an agent, in which case have a look on their website to see what they ask for. Some want a one-page synopsis, some want three pages, and some don't specify, so I guess you'd go somewhere in between. Make sure you send what they ask for, though - most agents get so many submissions, they're looking for an excuse NOT to read your work! You can send to several agents at the same time (make that clear in your covering letter) so you'll probably end up with several different versions of your synopsis.

Also, I'm not sure a chapter breakdown is a good idea. I'd suggest you try to outline the main characters and their motivations, and give a good overview of the story.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think, unless the agent/publisher asks for something longer, then you're best keeping it down to no more than a page. The simple truth is that no one likes reading synopses, and they're more interested in seeing what ideas you have and whether you can write (a synopsis is a chance to show off your story-telling skills) than knowing every detail of what happens.

Um. Others have said the right things. If I were a editor I'd only want to read one page, wouldn't you? Stella Whitelaw says there

are three basic elements to a book proposal:

covering letter

synopsis

the first two or three chapters

therefor the first couple of chapters have to be brilliant, the synopsis is brief, sparkling. The covering letter is a fanfare, trumpet call, saying HERE I AM. READ ME. It should have:

legibility

clarity

briefness

quality.

Use plain paper: no gimmicks: chose publisher carefully:

phone first to get a name: state simply what you are enclosing, using the title of the book : the second paragraph should be a line about the type of book and its theme, repeating the title: the third give your track record if you have one (not that your grannie loved it!).

That's all.

Do not pack in fancy ring binder. Don't staple, punch holes, tag. Collect, stack, put an elastic band sideways around and another longways and pop into clear plastic bag. Freezer bags are clear and don't split. label withe title and your name and address. The covering letter shoud be uppermost so that it is the first to be seen. Send in a bubble-pack Jiffy bag, clearly addressed. Check everything esp sufficient return post. Use recorded delivery if you are nervous.

Da Daaaaaaaaaaa you're done.

Let us know how it goes please.

Archived