Recent visit to Sheffield by an ex pat

soft ayperth

Each time I return to Sheffield the cleanliness of the buildings always surprises me. When I left Sheffield in the early 50's all the buildings looked as though built with black granite.

It was years before I realised stone wasn't black! Everything was black and dirty, when we went on holiday to Dorset my mum was amazed that washing could be left out all night without having to wash it again!

Remember the smell that hit you as you neared the outskirts of Sheffield on the train after a day at the seaside? We were breathing all that stuff. Always remember my grandad's take on it: "Weer thez muck thez money."

and.........listening to your mother complain because she couldn't hang out washing without it being covered in soot!

I remember the "smokeless act" coming in and having a gas fire, my how things improved. No more coming home and having to start laying the fire with newspaper "wicks", standing the shovel with newspaper up against the fire to get a good draft and then the damn thing catching fire and going up the chimney, the times we had to run out into the road to look at our chimney to see if it was on fire because we'd have been in trouble when mum came home from work!

I guess to return to the theme of this thread I'd have to say that there was a noticeable difference in air quality on my recent visit. Especially in the pubs. I know I'm probably opening up a pandora's box when I say this because I've observed the exchanges about the smoking ban on other threads. However, as an ex smoker who has become accustomed to going into pubs and most public places without having to inhale second hand tobacco smoke, I have to say that the pub experience was far more enjoyable this time around. Smoking in pubs has been banned for ages over here. There was an undercurrent of bickering about it at first, but now it's not even questioned and pub trade is doing fine. To return again to the theme of this thread, what would a visitor reasonably expect to find? Visitors from most places I suspect would expect a smoke free environment and this was provided. Now, I'll wait for all the my right to smoke messages to pour in.

:help:

Im Oughtibridge born and bred and lived there for 30 years ,until i moved to High Green 8 years ago ,so i dare say i know your family from Oughtibridge

I am Fletcher, which I think is probably the most popular name in Sheffield. My dad and Grandparents are all buried up at Burton Cemetary. My Grandma was the old peoples warden on Crag view (60-70's)

Just been talked into going about to Sheffield in January for a family reunion, Now I am shaking my head, Sheffield in January, cold wet and dark by 4, The upside is a nice pub and decent beer.

I haven't been back to Sheff in 2 years but that was for a funeral so didnt get chance to have a real look around. The last time I did was 15yrs ago. I use google earth though and retrace my steps to work, school, downtown (Remember the ABC on Spital street). As for the accent...I agree 100%, it brings a smile when I hear it. From what I read though it does seem a little more scary at night downtown.....but then im not sure how much is BS. What is it like at night time downtown?...does it still get busy on the weekends?

Archived