Recent visit to Sheffield by an ex pat

soft ayperth

Its not the driving, its the sheer mass of traffic that gets to me when I come down for Wednesday matches. I live in the Scottish Borders now and we don't know what traffic jams are up here. I'll be on the train tomorrow! Have a look at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com for 'First Job' - a Sheffield story.

Looked at your story Bonj. Very funny. Good dialogue and nice plot about two bumbling characters who can't seem to do anything right. Other members might wish to take a look at it.

I know what you mean about the volume of traffic. It's all relative. Like yourself, I live in a place with not much traffic. A rural part of Canada, small island, population of entire island only 120,000. Buses were introduced to the capital city Charlottetown within the past year or so. So, yes, the traffic in Sheffield was a different experience for me too. But then, if I had been a visitor from Montreal or Toronto, it wouldn't have fizzed on me.

Looked at your story Bonj. Very funny. Good dialogue and nice plot about two bumbling characters who can't seem to do anything right. Other members might wish to take a look at it.

I know what you mean about the volume of traffic. It's all relative. Like yourself, I live in a place with not much traffic. A rural part of Canada, small island, population of entire island only 120,000. Buses were introduced to the capital city Charlottetown within the past year or so. So, yes, the traffic in Sheffield was a different experience for me too. But then, if I had been a visitor from Montreal or Toronto, it wouldn't have fizzed on me.

I don't think it just Sheffield, Britain now has too many people, just read 61 million, for such a small island, You can't go anywhere without hitting a traffic jam at some point, obviously I am not talking about far flung regions but anywhere near a town. And I remember I could head out into the countryside around Sheffield and see no-one but the last time back I saw people everywhere.

I don't think it just Sheffield, Britain now has too many people, just read 61 million, for such a small island, You can't go anywhere without hitting a traffic jam at some point, obviously I am not talking about far flung regions but anywhere near a town. And I remember I could head out into the countryside around Sheffield and see no-one but the last time back I saw people everywhere.

You've hit on another point St John. Traffic, yes. But people in abundance. Canada has half the population. Especially on the shopping walkways it seemed like wall to wall people. And people seem to have developed a skill of navigating their way around without bumping into other people. My wife has a visual disability and when on her own (i.e. without her guard dog, yours truly) had to bring out her white cane in Sheffield. People were very good and considerate to her and eventually she found her feet.

I am Fletcher, which I think is probably the most popular name in Sheffield. My dad and Grandparents are all buried up at Burton Cemetary. My Grandma was the old peoples warden on Crag view (60-70's)

Just been talked into going about to Sheffield in January for a family reunion, Now I am shaking my head, Sheffield in January, cold wet and dark by 4, The upside is a nice pub and decent beer.

Any relation to Paul Fletcher ?

Or Alan Fletcher ?

Any relation to Paul Fletcher ?

Or Alan Fletcher ?

Don't recongnize thier names but their could be distant relatives, My grandad grew up in Oughtibridge in the 20's and had brother and sisters but I never really knew any of them. But as kids me and all my cousins would go to my grandparents on weekends, Now some live at Stocksbridge and other parts of the city so when I visit we always meet up in Oughtibridge for a drink and a trip down memory lane.

Always really liked the pubs there too. My Grandad was a pisshead' so as kids we were sent to go find him and bring him home for dinner.

Don't recongnize thier names but their could be distant relatives, My grandad grew up in Oughtibridge in the 20's and had brother and sisters but I never really knew any of them. But as kids me and all my cousins would go to my grandparents on weekends, Now some live at Stocksbridge and other parts of the city so when I visit we always meet up in Oughtibridge for a drink and a trip down memory lane.

Always really liked the pubs there too. My Grandad was a pisshead' so as kids we were sent to go find him and bring him home for dinner.

the pubs are still there ,but sadly the Oughtibridge working mens club is no longer -a housing estate now sits where the club used to be

Here's a questions for all to consider. I live in the States, nearest bar is three miles away and crap. The pub and getting a little and a lot ****** is major factor when I get home, A lot of my family are always in the pub and to be honest the best thing I can think of is sitting in a lovely old pub with a decent beer, and a big part of going home is the pubs. (get the idea) For me Sheffield is about sitting in a pub with mates and a decent beer so is that Sheffield and Sheffield blokes all about

Sheffield traffic cannot compare to the amount of traffic in Sydney, hell on earth trying to get over the Spit bridge in the rush hour,but it's the same the world over in large cities.it'll be better when the oil runs out!! back to the thread, is the main post office still there in the square up from Pond St? i used to think it was a really nice building with an old fashioned interior. remember the telegraph delivery boys on their red motor bikes?

...You can't go anywhere without hitting a traffic jam at some point, obviously I am not talking about far flung regions but anywhere near a town.

Quite right - Mrs hillsbro and I live (mostly) in a fairly rural part of North Lincolnshire. It is not exactly far-flung but traffic jams are sufficiently remote for them not to be a problem. When we are at our Sheffield home we use buses and trams - thanks to our travel passes it doesn't cost us anything, and someone else can do the driving.:)

Archived