School Uniform - Are you for or against?

Should there be a school uniform  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a school uniform

• All school children should wear uniforms
    • All high school children should wear uniform
    • Only private school children should wear a uniform
    • School uniform should be optional but not compulsory
    • There should not be school uniform for any children
    • Other (because there's always an "other") :)

At the risk of being shot down in flames....we are talking here about children going to their place of education and the first step of the learning curve should be discipline.

child turns up for school in uniform they first and foremost look very smart....neitThis is not a fashion parade...this is a school.....And for the knockers...would a Nurse be allowed on the wards without a uniform...a fireman, a policeman, a traffic warden, a bus driver...... even Eddie Stobbart drivers wear a uniform.

Surely a place of education should be exactly that, and nothing more. Any kind of uniform is intrinsically a bad thing, where it is not for purposes of safety or practicality. I sometimes see people emerging from monstrous grey offices, all wearing suits, and I recoil with horror. Uniforms drain the life and soul of a person, which is why they are used in schools, the army, business etc. I tend to distrust all those who advocate or willingly wear them.

It can't be about discipline as logically schools without uniforms would therefore need riot police. King Edwards does not have uniform and does not have riot police.

It's about failing schools, failing teachers and some failing parents who feel if they could make all children look the same they would all behave the same.

If only all children looked the same all the less bright and all the unruly children will suddenly develop super intellects and exceptional manners, dream on. All uniform does is reinforce the feeling of imprisonment and boredom.

Err... on a bit of a tangent...but I think thats quite untrue...if you wanted to enough, you could try, there are plenty of people campaigning and using their own money and time to work to make things better for people in sweatshops. We have power by virtue of our own spending power, and because we have access to books and newspapers and the internet.

So there are people out there who actually give money to save the people in the sweat shops....I dont think that any one would be daft enough to fund the sweatshop owners......

And the posters who buy from Primark...are they the biggest culprits at supporting the sweatshops....

As I said earlier a code leaves more to interpretation but it still as “rules”

We're (or, rather I am) not talking about rules here. We're (at least, I am) explicitly discussing whether we/I are for or against school uniforms, not wether there should be rules.

uniform

· adj. not varying; the same in all cases and at all times.

A dress code allows for variation, a uniform does not.

There are quite marked differences between a uniform and a dress code for schools, and it has no bearing on the school's performance.

The only thing it does, is make little clones.

Archived