If homeopathy works .. I'll drink my own wee

The placebo affect will only take place if you honestly believe that the treatment is going to work.

So we could say that homeopathy will only have an affect on the ignorant or stupid.

Since it would have no greater effect than a plain water placebo in a double blind trial we can also say that it has no affect. Thus flamingjimmy's statement is wrong. Homeopathy is quackery and has no affect.

Read "Bad Science" by Dr Ben Goldacre. Fascinating book which delves into the whole homeopathy and nutrition minefield. The placebo effect is explained in great detail and is clearly important, along with the "regression to the mean" explanation i.e. a person would have got better anyway, regardless of medicines or homeopathy remedies taken, simply because the human body is really rather good at healing itself anyway.

Takes "Dr" Gillian McKeith to task as well...pointing out some of her "scientific facts" as absolute howlers.

More here: http://www.badscience.net/

Archived