1 million obese children in the uk

I was surprised to see noseyrosie has this prejudice, but alas it's common. Those who hold it attempt to justify it by saying "I'm only concerned with people's health", or "it's something you can easily change yourself", and so forth. If these same people are concerned with people's health would they feel equally comfortable issuing prejudiced remarks at people with suntans (as these may or may not kill you one day too) or cancer (as this too is an illness often caused by lifestyle)? Would such people go up to people suffering from prejudice due to birthmarks or Downs' Syndrome and tll them that if they only had plastic surgery they wouldn't get picked on.

Why was I surprised at noseyrosie saying stuff like this? Well, she seemed a bit clued up about political issues, and weight is one of those. Society is changing what are personal issues into public ones, another example of how the state is trying to make a claim on our bodies. Why are they doing this? To save money. Despite the fact that everyone pays in and is entitled to get something out. Remember it is no mortal sin to eat too much, you cannot deny anyone treatment because they are fat any more than you can deny someone treatment because they like sunbeds.

It's a very complex issue too, and to simply dismiss people as idle doesn't help as there can be many psychological reasons why people cannot lose weight. Of course, it could simply be that you like to eat or that you find exercise utterly boring, but it's your choice, as it's your body. There's all the info in the world out there, everyone knows the risks, but it's up to you what you do with that info. Why do people still smoke, drink, get suntans? It's up to them.

As for how people feed their kids, this too is up to them. Yes, it can be sad to see (but remember it might be for another reason, and above all, that child deserves to have his self esteem bolstered, not to be pitied) but parents do 1001 things bringing up children which we may not all agree with, and with a kid who is a bit overweight it is more likely to be too much love from a doting family that's made him that way than anything else. :)

Right, I'm off to feast on my own self-righteousness now. :D

Originally posted by Mathom

I was surprised to see noseyrosie has this prejudice, but alas it's common. Those who hold it attempt to justify it by saying "I'm only concerned with people's health", or "it's something you can easily change yourself", and so forth. If these same people are concerned with people's health would they feel equally comfortable issuing prejudiced remarks at people with suntans (as these may or may not kill you one day too) or cancer (as this too is an illness often caused by lifestyle)? Would such people go up to people suffering from prejudice due to birthmarks or Downs' Syndrome and tll them that if they only had plastic surgery they wouldn't get picked on.

Well of course not! That would be an appalling thing to do - I've already said that genetic weight problems are different.

Yes I have a huge problem with tanning too - tanning salons are awful things, oh and to whoever asked, I'm not a smoker and wouldn't touch the wretched stuff.

Why was I surprised at noseyrosie saying stuff like this? Well, she seemed a bit clued up about political issues, and weight is one of those.

That's cos I'm coooool :hihi: , but seriously I already mentioned that my opinions have changed on this, and I'm as yet still undecided in many ways - I feel that the idea of the state trying to influence people's weight is silly, but it just surprises me that people themselves can cope with it. If they're fine about it then that's ok, but personally I'd try to minimise unneccessary health risks to myself. But then again, we all have stupid unhealthy vices don't we?

Society is changing what are personal issues into public ones, another example of how the state is trying to make a claim on our bodies. Why are they doing this? To save money. Despite the fact that everyone pays in and is entitled to get something out. Remember it is no mortal sin to eat too much, you cannot deny anyone treatment because they are fat any more than you can deny someone treatment because they like sunbeds.

Hmmph I really hate sunbedders.

Do tell us about your

we all have stupid unhealthy vices don't we?
noseyrosie, then we can make sweeping subjective statements based on media influenced opinion too.

Hmmph I really hate sunbedders

So again not only people who have low self esteem due to their unacceptable appearance - the fatties as you refer to them - come under your disdain but people who like to 'appear healthy' with a tan too?

No ones safe are they?

Sunbed tanning is much safer & affords better skin protection (dermatollogically speaking) than just going on holiday in summer & burning for 10 days.

What happens when your skin tans?

Our natural skin colour is caused by skin pigment, melanin, the presence of which is determined by hereditary factors. Initially melanin is plae coloured, but the influence of UV rays turns the melanin brown as it rises to the skin's surface.

This brown melanin forms a barrier on the skin, which, together with subsequent skin thickening, is the body's natural mechanism to protect against UV radiation. Having a tan, therefore, is the body's way of building up protection against sunburn.

Tanning in sunlight means that the body can be subjected to differing levels of UV rays depending on the time of day, location etc.

here, have a read

And what about those with digestive malabsorption problems who cannot absorb the d-group vitamins?

Steatorrhea - where fats are not digested and therefore fat-soluble vitamins (D group) are not absobed either.

The UV effect of sunlight encourages natural vitamin D (D3) production within the body enabling calcium absorption too.

It alleviates the pain & discomfort of artheritis & rheumatism.

Or maybe these folks should suffer too? I expect you find ricketts funny? Lots of people in the UK live and suffer with it. It's not only a 3rd world problem.

Lastly you said you didn't smoke - good for you!

But do you drink alcohol? You failed to comment.

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

But alcohol in small quantities is healthy no?

Arrrgh, this healthy business is too complicated for me :) all this conflicting evidence reported by various organisations and run away with by the media.

Mobile phones - safe or not?

Being overweight - slightly overweight women have been shown to live longer. So is it all bad?

I'll just stick to the way I'm living and hope I don't upset too many people :)

Norton - don't worry about upsetting people, what you do with your own body is up to you. :) I often laugh when people stick their noses in the air and b*tch about other people's appearances - have they taken a look at themselves lately? Everyone does it, just the other day a woman was glaring at my mismatched outfit, so I glared at her man-mullet. It's when we start discriminating that it becomes a problem.

Noseyrosie - genetic weight problems may have a different origin, but when you look at that fat person you just cannot tell how they became fat, so it's all by the by. We might assume that most fat people are so because they simply cannot control their eating or are lazy - the causes are a lot more complex. Food, remember, is nice, and people like a treat, especially if they're having a bad day, or haven't got much to look forward to, and that's something everyone can relate to.

Why should people not be able to cope with their weight whether it's high or low? The only thing which prevents people from 'coping' is when they are made to suffer psychologically and end up with low self-esteem.

Ah but self-righteousness is on the 'seafood diet'... :D

Norton - don't worry about upsetting people, what you do with your own body is up to you. :)

I am happy with what I do and who I am, but looking at some of the judgemental views on this forum, I'm now aware that people sometimes aren't understanding about very personal health issues. Maybe I should be more concerned about how people view me if these extreme opinions do still exist.

Do people look down on me for occasionally going in McDonalds? :suspect: Am I being watched when I'm having a boozy drink in town? :suspect:

Picking on a person who is overweight because of an illness is like picking on someone who has lost their hair through chemotherapy. Same difference in my book.

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

Do tell us about your noseyrosie, then we can make sweeping subjective statements based on media influenced opinion too.

So again not only people who have low self esteem due to their unacceptable appearance - the fatties as you refer to them - come under your disdain but people who like to 'appear healthy' with a tan too?

No ones safe are they?

Sunbed tanning is much safer & affords better skin protection (dermatollogically speaking) than just going on holiday in summer & burning for 10 days.

here, have a read

And what about those with digestive malabsorption problems who cannot absorb the d-group vitamins?

Steatorrhea - where fats are not digested and therefore fat-soluble vitamins (D group) are not absobed either.

The UV effect of sunlight encourages natural vitamin D (D3) production within the body enabling calcium absorption too.

It alleviates the pain & discomfort of artheritis & rheumatism.

Or maybe these folks should suffer too? I expect you find ricketts funny? Lots of people in the UK live and suffer with it. It's not only a 3rd world problem.

Lastly you said you didn't smoke - good for you!

I'd tend to agree tat we all have stupid vices in one way or another (if you look at it subjectively)

I also think that people who use sunbeds are:

a vain beyond belief.

b. stupid.

c. harming their body 9and you can pop any sunbed evidence you want in front of me but htere is at least 10 more that say it is dangerous.

I'm tanned. Have I:

a been abroad. NO

b on a sunbed. NO

Been walking/sitting outdoors 9not sunbathing) YES.

Why do people feel the need to use artificail means to tan? mostly it looks bad up close. It certainly harms your sking.

be yourself, be natural.

for me, there is nothing better than a natural woman.

and the number of obese people who have genetic problems is well under 10%

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. - I've just joined...(o:

Message for tpiddo especially

Steroids (and some other medications too) can cause salt and water retention and when this happens it means weight gain 'cos water is heavy. Some of the water can be lost by cutting down on salt. And that means weight loss.

It's so easy just to give this a try. - Costs nothing...(o: Completely safe.

If you would like more information about this, tpiddo, you could email me and I'd be pleased to help.

margarete

• 4 years later...
a news paper report says today there are 1 million obese children in the uk.......

bad parenting.....? bad lifestlye....? or lack of knowledge.....?

They've got a new machine down the gym so i went to use it today but i felt sick after half an hour on it,

it does everything! Mars bars, Kit-Kats, Snickers, Crisps, The whole ****ing lot!!

Archived