Sky digital warranty scam

cc87

Can't see why anyone would to take a warranty out on anything costing less than a couple of hundred quid. What happened to guarantees, do people think they aren't offered anymore.

To the man that says they offer a valid service. I wonder if it's like the valid service that came with a car I once bought. A warranty for a car that didn't cover moving parts. Now I don't know about you, I can't think of many parts on a car that don't move in some way.

I actually bought a warranty in similar fashion for five quid a month - which i used. It's no different to Skys genuine warranty .

Edited by willman

They do usually offer a valid service for warranty and repairs of Sky equipment though.

Ive only ever had one problem with Sky, I rang them and was told as it was out of warranty it would be £65 call out fee plus the cost of a new box or whatever. I said 'forget it I'll go to Virgin'. A few days later an engineer came out and replaced the box free of charge. :roll:

Perhaps so - but if they offer a valid service then it isn't a scam. It obviosuly puts a bit of a slant on important.

The details are provided to them when your genuine Sky warranty lapses - allegedly.

The problem was they were sending people quite worrying mail telling them that their warranty had expired when in fact it still had some years to run. They would then start billing people quite early even when they were still under Sky's warranty. When something went wrong with the equipment then both parties refused to honour the warranty.

Hardly a valid service.

Ive only ever had one problem with Sky, I rang them and was told as it was out of warranty it would be £65 call out fee plus the cost of a new box or whatever. I said 'forget it I'll go to Virgin'. A few days later an engineer came out and replaced the box free of charge. :roll:

I told 'em i was cancelling football and got it for free. Doesn't mean everyone will get it. BUt well done.

The problem was they were sending people quite worrying mail telling them that their warranty had expired when in fact it still had some years to run. They would then start billing people quite early even when they were still under Sky's warranty. When something went wrong with the equipment then both parties refused to honour the warranty.

Hardly a valid service.

Thats a little strange - usually the warranty only lasts for a year on the Sky box.

• 5 years later...

Please be careful people if you are a sky customer. I have just had a phone call from a company called Mainstream ltd claiming to be sky informing me my warranty on my equipment is about to run out. For one I don't have a warranty, Sky use domestic and general for their insurance and when it's about to run out they contact you. She carried on with her script about how much it will cost for an engineer visit blah blah blah. She tried to con me into setting up a direct debit but got nowhere :hihi: My OH took the call and she actually said she was from sky but asked for me by a previous surname.:loopy: I phoned Sky and they have never heard of this company.