Anyone here ever heard of Anti-TNF drugs?

Hi people,

Been to the hospital today and my dr is taking me off Methortrexate because I struggle to keep it down even with aint-sickness tablets. When they have stayed down I saw a bg difference in myself and they worked miracles.

I told my Dr and she said thats fine and that what she can do is put me straight onto something called Anti-TNF Drugs. Apparently normally as they are so expensive you have to try loads of different drugs before you can be put on them, but as I was born with Arthritis and Methortrexate worked but wouldn't stay down I can be put straight on them.

The drugs are called Humira & Embrel and I have to choose which one I want to take. One is taken weekly and the other is fortnightly and both are injected.

Does anyone on here take them or does anyone on here actually take them? If so whats the differences between them both?

Hello there,

Whilst i dont suffer with arthritis myself, my mum has it really bad and is on embrel and it has worked amazingly well - she's gone from being confined to bed to being able to get up and walk around the shops etc :]

I do believe she tried the Humira but the Embrel works better with her as she has the weekly injections delivered and administed by my dad, the other one was wearing off as she was entering her 2nd week and the pain was too much to bear.

Anyway, enough of my essay.

I hope whichever you take, it works out for you :)

take care

TNF, or tumour necrosis factor, is a key inflammatory mediator. It is released by damaged cells and some immune cells and stimulates the immune system. In autoimmune diseases including some types of arthritis, excessive immune stimulation either causes or exacerbates the condition.

Like methotrexate, the aim of anti-TNF drugs is to keep the immune system under control by blocking the TNF signal. So far as I know, enbrel and humira are fairly similar drugs with the same basic mode of action. Some people may respond to one and not the other due to genetic differences, but for most people there isn't much to choose between them.

Because they suppress an important part of the immune system, there is an increased risk of infections and neoplasms using these drugs. Generally though, they are more specific than methotrexate, which perturbs cell metabolism throughout the body, and so have less risk of side effects.

• 1 year later...

Archived