Sheffield Slang For A Story

vas8849

Younger middle/upper class will say neither very often.

They might say 'mate', but probably in an ironic way or if speaking to a working class friend.

Emo is the description for mopy neo gothic teenagers everywhere. I don't know what a bindie is.

Yes it is very rare that you hear middle or upper class people using 'mate' or 'love'. Mate is used a lot by working class people but the use of 'love' is dying out IMO - My Grandad uses it for both men and women, my Dad uses it just for men and I don't use it at all (although I have heard people in my age group use it). 'Dude' is sometimes used by younger people from a middle class background, although it isn't that common. I am not entirely sure what an often used middle class equivalent of 'mate/love' is - maybe there isn't one really?

I'm kind of deciding that I might just keep "love" only because I think it adds a little something special to his character. It might not be completely true to his generation, but I feel it gets a certain point across that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

I'm thinking about posting a section of it for you guys to read the major dialogue and decide what works and doesn't, just give me a day or two to refine it.

I'm kind of deciding that I might just keep "love" only because I think it adds a little something special to his character. It might not be completely true to his generation, but I feel it gets a certain point across that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

I doubt many people outside of Sheffield know the finer details of the slang that is used here so it wouldn't really matter that much anyway in terms of authenticity. The smartly dressed cockney wide boy types that Guy Ritchie uses in a lot of his films, no longer exist and probably haven't since the late 70's. He still uses them for films set post-2000 and it doesn't look that daft because stereotypes last longer in people's minds than they do in real life.

I'm thinking about posting a section of it for you guys to read the major dialogue and decide what works and doesn't, just give me a day or two to refine it.

That would be good and i'd definitely be interested to have a look at it.

Do you mean "encompass" by they wouldn't have accepted them or Hillsborough isn't included as an upper-class area? Because if it's the second, they'll move out of Hillsborough into one of the upper class areas when he's about 12.

Although, I like the idea of him being raised in a bohemian area as apposed to Hillsborough. Do you think his upbringing would change, i.e. do children from either areas speak differently or have slightly different upbringings from each other or is it kind of the same?

I meant it in the sense that Hillsborough isn't that much of an upper-class area as the other areas I mentioned.

There are distinct differences in accent in different areas.

My lad who grew up in Darnall refers to his dad as "Favv-uhr" (Father) which, I have to say, really annoys me. :D

On the poorer/ council estates there is a tendency to pronounce "th" as "f", so the council estate "Jordanthorpe" is pronounced more !"flat", - "Jore-dun-forp". the speech has a stronger accent.

My own speech is "Well-spoken Yorkshire":- I speak not quite "RP" (Received Pronunciation) but I speak clearly, albeit with the slightly flattened northern vowels.

accents change

youll notice it with work places, people talk different to different people in different places

moved to skeggy and all of us (including me) started to lose our accents especially the kids

was told that when i was arguing and shouting that my accent came straight back to pure yorkshire so it allso changes to the circumstances

Okay, first things first, this is about half of the introduction (it's not very long.) It might be slightly confusing because you can't read the whole introduction so just focus on the dialogue for now. The main guy speaking is from London - I felt like I needed to put that enormous (and almost unbearable) paragraph so you guys understand what they're talking about. It came out pretty well and I wish I wasn't so reserved about posting the whole thing, but printing isn't cheap so I don't know if I'd want a chunk of what I'm going to sell to be online. But let me know what you think!

http://sheffieldwriters.ath.cx/SFStoryArchive/1254022620.rtf

Firstly, I take it these are two guys (males) speaking, then I would drop the ‘Love’. As it has been said earlier, not much used now a days, you could use, mate, youth, pal or I would be incline to use…

“poetic when you're not even close, mush?"

Also, bum is childish; it should be ‘Mardy Arse’

I think the problem is just how far does one go? Take this line…

"Let me ask y'love, do you tell that story to everyone you're about to kill?"

In my younger days I would have said…

“Let me ask thee mush, does tha tell that story t’everybody that abart t’kill”

But that is absolutely O,T,T, and would put readers off, so where does one draw the line?

Have a listen to ‘Capstick comes home’ that will give you an idea on the lingo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32eSB0ZRPxQ

I take it this book is only aimed at your home market, if not I would try to simplify your connotations.

Lines like… “and gave beausoliel to frolic within your reach” are a bit confusing to me, are you referring to Cajun music? Or am I being a bit thick? :confused:

Archived