Toby Rides Again!

Did anyone listen to Toby Foster's interview this morning with the BNP councillor from Barnsley?

Toby was polite, quite rightly let him have his say, then challenged his statements.

The BNP man stated that the people of Barnsley were fed up of foreigners and immigration generally as illustrated in the electoral roll, and the fact that their children couldnt get into housing becaue it was prioritised for immigrants.

Foster replied that he had looked at the roll and the Barnsley population was 99% white and 98% British white, making it one of the whitest areas in the country.

To counter this, the BNP man stated that ethnic minorities in Barnsley received grants and rent free periods in commercial premises that white people were ineligible for.

Toby must have seen this coming as he replied that when he set up his business he received a £1000 grant and 6 grant free period for premises in Barnsley!

Throughout this he remained polite, he didnt hector the BNP councillor and put his point across as calmy as possible, maintaining that the BNP were trading on fear and stories that were guaranteed to arouse the indigenous population.

I think if David Dimbleby feels reluctant to chair Question Time when Nick Griffin appears, that we have our home grown replacement for him. Top marks Toby!

I think he should have got into the BNP bloke's ribs a bit more over the housing thing though - according to the council leader only one of (?) over 1000 council houses went to someone who wasn't local in the last year, and the BNP bloke denied it; should have challenged him a bit more on that I think.

Other than that, cracking interview. I reckon he should have a rabid right-winger on every morning. Such a shame the mayor of Doncaster won't come back on :)

I was in Skeggy (for my sins) last week.

One of the postcards I bought was of a donkey on the beach.

It was only when I posted it I noticed that the donkey was named Toby.

WHY OH WHY didn't I notice that earlier.

I would have bought two and sent Toby one :hihi:

It shows how paranoid part of the population of Barnsley is.

Well done Toby, most of the thinking population see the BNP for what they really are,

M & S suits and political spin will never change this.

I agree GrannyGranny, it does puzzle me that the BNP have performed better in areas like Barnsley and Maltby, where there may well be high unemployment but blaming immigrants for this wont cure the problem since there are hardly any in those areas!

It looks like some misguided people need a scapegoat for their own misfortune or inadequacies, little realising that until they stop doing that their position is unlikely to change.

Other than that, cracking interview. I reckon he should have a rabid right-winger on every morning. Such a shame the mayor of Doncaster won't come back on :)

LOL, he could make a career of it, especially as the other 'shock jocks' tend to be ultra right wing, it could be Toby's unique selling point!

I was in Skeggy (for my sins) last week.

One of the postcards I bought was of a donkey on the beach.

It was only when I posted it I noticed that the donkey was named Toby.

WHY OH WHY didn't I notice that earlier.

I would have bought two and sent Toby one :hihi:

Our Toby is more thoroughbred than donkey, julado :hihi:

i live in south shefffield and have just had new "immigrent" neighbours move in next door. they are truly freindly people and i get on with them well even though the language is a barrier {she cannot speak english}.

i was a bit suprised to see that within two weeks of them moving in they were being housed somewhere else whislt " improvement" works were carried out at the house.

these "improvements" consisted of a new kitchen and bathroom and new central heating. this suprised me even further because i know for a fact that when the previous tennents had it they had a lovely kitchen and bathroom which did not need replacing at all.

i questioned my neighbours husband who speaks a little english and he said that "britian very good to him" "whatever he asks he gets..clothes..money and grant towards car".

like i said he is a great guy and if what he said is true then you cannot blame immigrents for abusing the system but i think this is what is getting people wound up and causing tension.

Archived