Vic Mobley Sheffield Wednesday

xenia

He was transferred to Queens Park Rangers for £55,000 in October 1969 after playing 210 games for Wednesday and scoring 8 goals.

Vic’s time with Q.P.R. was injury plagued. He only played another 25 games in 2 years before giving up the game on medical advice.

Q.P.R. maintained that Mobley had been injured before they signed him and they took Sheffield Wednesday to court in February 1973 to claim compensation.

Shame that not many remember him, he was a hero in the semi final of the FA cup in the year that the owls lost to Everton in the final. I think he also made the England squad at some time.

I remember him very well. He took over from Peter Swan when Swanny was banned from the game back in the late 60s. Vic was a very good centre half. It wasn't Vic's fault that Everton came bk to beat us in the 2nd half at Wembley. We were playing a young half back called Sam Ellis who came in as a last minute sub for an injured player. He made one or two bad gaffes that resulted in us losing the game. Come to think of it, I think Vic was the injured player. Alan Brown considered moving Gerry Young over to c. half to sub for Vic, then went with the young Sam Ellis. Big mistake in many peoples' opinions.

Edited by soft ayperth

I remember him very well. He took over from Peter Swan when Swanny was banned from the game back in
the late 60s

. Vic was a very good centre half. It wasn't Vic's fault that Everton came bk to beat us in the 2nd half at Wembley. We were playing a young half back called Sam Ellis who came in as a last minute sub for an injured player. He made one or two bad gaffes that resulted in us losing the game. Come to think of it, I think Vic was the injured player. Alan Brown considered moving Gerry Young over to c. half to sub for Vic, then went with the young Sam Ellis. Big mistake in many peoples' opinions.

1964 actually, Ellis played because Mobley was injured.

Edited by crookesey

If ever you speak to him, ask him if her remembers working as a waiter at the City Hall Sheffield. Vic and I were working in the downstairs Ballroom whilst upstairs there was a concert on. Topping the bill was a group called Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas (very big at the time) Vic and i were asked to help get the group from the hotel nearby into the city hall, We grabbed hold of an arm each and got Billy J Kramer in thru a howling mob of female fans. Later Billy bought us both a bottle of Double Diamond. (Not cool by todays standards but pretty good at the time!!!

He is my uncles brother, and yes he now lives in New Zealand.