Dunham bridge toll

Oh behave people, a few pence to cross a bridge that saves you how many miles to avoid it ?? Craigmason you are a tightwad sir. Try running from Waddington airshow to Newark then up the A616 to Barlborough and see how much the extra fuel will cost you... tisk tisk what a pointless pityfull thread.

Craigmason posted three years ago, so he might not be around to argue his case.

Paying 36p is fairly ludicrous; I'd wager most people would prefer to see a 40p toll than a 36p one.

Paying 36p is fairly ludicrous; I'd wager most people would prefer to see a 40p toll than a 36p one.

I realised that 'HeadingNorth' but craigmason has posted recently (after a quick check) but the argument/discussion that I was putting forward was how much it would cost you to not pay the few pence to go over the bridge than go round it.

I realised that 'HeadingNorth' but craigmason has posted recently (after a quick check) but the argument/discussion that I was putting forward was how much it would cost you to not pay the few pence to go over the bridge than go round it.

That's a valid point, I grant you. (I find that from Sheffield to Lincoln via the A1/A46 is, if anything, a fraction quicker than going on the A57, but it's a good deal further and must cost more in petrol!)

An alternative route, for those in northern Sheffield who despise paying tolls, is the A631 to Gainsborough, but I personally would sooner just pay the toll.

A possible issue (common in business, and with price changes) is that if they announced that the new fare 'needed to be 36p for tax purposes', but they were going to be actually charging 40p... then the same old arguments would arise, i.e. regarding 'companies rounding things up' to rob us all!

For this reason, 36p wouldn't be ludicrous (politically).

However, when practicality comes into play, and people are sat in queues, then reason takes over, and the 4p becomes an unwanted inconvenience - and seems to the newly enlightened queueing people, as ludicrous.

A possible issue (common in business, and with price changes) is that if they announced that the new fare 'needed to be 36p for tax purposes', but they were going to be actually charging 40p... then the same old arguments would arise, i.e. regarding 'companies rounding things up' to rob us all!

For this reason, 36p wouldn't be ludicrous (politically).

However, when practicality comes into play, and people are sat in queues, then reason takes over, and the 4p becomes an unwanted inconvenience - and seems to the newly enlightened queueing people, as ludicrous.

You make a very good point. This is probably a case where no matter what the owners did, they would be lambasted for it. (Although I believe it is true that the toll can only be altered by Government approval, so it isn't actually the owners who decided to stick at 36 pence...)

Archived