How do I get a copy of my decree absolute?

Are you serious?
Of course I am. We were only married for a few years. I haven't seen or heard anything of him since 1973 ... why would I remember minor details? A lot's happened and I've had more important things on my mind in the last thirty odd years :D

I know his first name and surname, his birthday was in June sometime, we were married in October 1970 and divorced sometime between 74 and 76, but that's not enough for the Court in Sheffield to track down the absolute.

Is that ok? :)

If you were divorced at Sheffield County Court since the year 2000 they may be able to search their computer and print a certified copy for you. I think that costs about a fiver. If it was before then you have to find out your divorce number from the central registry in London. It used to be £25 but I think it's gone up a lot since then. An original Decree Absolute or a certified copy is identified by a red County Court seal at the top right hand corner of the document, as opposed to the Decree Nisi, which has a black one.

I scanned my absolute into the computer as a back up, amazed I have been divorced since 19th April 2002. Wonder if the scan would be good enough if I needed it?
I don't think PCs had been invented when I got this divorce that I need the papers for :D Computers were about the size of a house and needed their own premises in those days!

• 3 years later...

Archived