Did the synthesiser ruin music?

Ousetunes

If it went for the synth, we would be missing out on so much great music. The likes of Orbital, Massive Attack, Moby right back to things like Joy Divison, Kraftwerk, JMJ, and i think the synth spawned a whole new race of music, like mentioned before, sampling, and MIDI and allowed acts like Radiohead, and The Prodigy, Kovenent etc to experiment with music to a much greater degree.

The instrument is only as good as the person playing it, and despite allowing some of the crap that gets classed as music nowadays to be born, I think the amount of classic tracks, and the ability of it to be used in cross genre material outweights its misgivings. The thing that kills music now, is money, too many fat cat record bosses trying to cash in on the latest fad, and the talent that could be, never quite makes it.

Joel

Joel,

You mention Radiohead, particular favourites of mine. Their work from 'Kid A' onwards features greater use of electronica, and 'ambient' drones/atmospheres/textures etc. However, what I find really endearing is their enthusiasm for the Ondes Martinot, if that is how one spells it. This strange, eery-sounding instrument is used to very good effect on their excellent 'Hail to the Thief'. I don't know much about it, but I have heard that the band prefer the previously neglected instrument to synthesisers. Didn't they recently meet the inventor of the Ondes Martinot, or daughter of the inventor?

We shouldn't neglect the contribution of Rolf Harris and his marvellous stylophone, of course, with its innovative incorporation of a vibrato switch to change the sound from a cat being run over by a fletchers van, to the heady heights of a well-trained operatic cat protesting that its best mate had been run over by a fletchers van.

I'll get me coat...

True. Bowie managed to incorporate a stylophone into Space Oddity. Not as good as Two Little Boys, but he did his best. :hihi:

did synths ruin music?

short answer "No"

slightly less short answer "Of course not!"

Its a perfectly viable method of making music. When you get any new type of music you get some people who are just doing it for the novelty value, and then you get the people who really make it work and make an art form out of it.

There is some early synth stuff that is painful to listen to, but there's plenty of trash from every genre and every era.

Originally posted by Yodameister

did synths ruin music?

short answer "No"

slightly less short answer "Of course not!"

Its a perfectly viable method of making music. When you get any new type of music you get some people who are just doing it for the novelty value, and then you get the people who really make it work and make an art form out of it.

There is some early synth stuff that is painful to listen to, but there's plenty of trash from every genre and every era.

spice girls

chas and dave

birdy song ?

may as well start a did electricity kill music

Archived