Penny Farthing Nightclub

suffolk boy

I first knew David late sixties when he had a small cafe on Darnall terminus called the Carousel, he had inherited some money and could be seen arriving in his e type jag. I guess you are right in that he would be about 21 then.

I didnt know his father but his mum was a quiet very attractive lady who at some time married Harry Hart, who became Davids stepfather. Harry was licensee of the Red Lion on Holly Street and had other business interests ususlly involved in the pub and catering business.

I lost touch with him till about 1976 when I used to see him at Fiveways Motel at Owler Bar, he was still in the money and could be seen with a (usually) blonde companion propping up the end of the bar.

He died about 1978, I believe he took his own life while living or staying at the Ladybower pub, I can speculate about the circumstances but dont actually know so will keep quiet about it. BUT

David was basically a nice guy, some people resented the fact that he had money at a young age and that he had no reservations about flaunting it. He was a flamboyant playboy. But he had a good heart.

Money ruined David, had he been a normal working guy he would probably be a happy man now entering old age. he had too much too soon, and to those dozens who sponged off him, who were never turned away, and who spurned him when he ended up with nothing, and who laughed when he died, I know who you are, you too are becoming old, if there is a god in heaven I hope you answer for the way you treated David Lidgard.

:help: I have found this posting that relates to David Lidgard whilst doing a Google search, as I am researching my family tree and I think he may be a more distant relative. He certainly lived in Sheffield at some point. If anyone can help me with confirming this by adding in more detail for me about him, that would be really helpful in answering if this is the same person or if it isn't and I am up a blind alley!

Some questions that would be really helpful to get answers to

* I believe that David would have been about 21 in 1969? .............is this the case?......... if not this isn't the same person and all questions below can be ignored

* Do you know the names of his parents? - any names are helpful in expanding the family tree further

* I can see that he is now dead……... What year approximately would this have occurred? …...& does anyone know why?

* Do you know if he had ever married &/or had children?.......again any names are helpful in expanding the family tree further

I know this is a very random request but any help is very much appreciated. In advance a big thank you to anyone who can help me fill in the blanks! :)

I first knew David late sixties when he had a small cafe on Darnall terminus called the Carousel, he had inherited some money and could be seen arriving in his e type jag. I guess you are right in that he would be about 21 then.

I didnt know his father but his mum was a quiet very attractive lady who at some time married Harry Hart, who became Davids stepfather. Harry was licensee of the Red Lion on Holly Street and had other business interests ususlly involved in the pub and catering business.

I lost touch with him till about 1976 when I used to see him at Fiveways Motel at Owler Bar, he was still in the money and could be seen with a (usually) blonde companion propping up the end of the bar.

He died about 1978, I believe he took his own life while living or staying at the Ladybower pub, I can speculate about the circumstances but dont actually know so will keep quiet about it. BUT

David was basically a nice guy, some people resented the fact that he had money at a young age and that he had no reservations about flaunting it. He was a flamboyant playboy. But he had a good heart.

Money ruined David, had he been a normal working guy he would probably be a happy man now entering old age. he had too much too soon, and to those dozens who sponged off him, who were never turned away, and who spurned him when he ended up with nothing, and who laughed when he died, I know who you are, you too are becoming old, if there is a god in heaven I hope you answer for the way you treated David Lidgard.

Very profound indeed, I had a mate who committed suicide, they rarely discuss their intentions with anyone, because they don't believe that anyone actually cares.

I will tell you one thing though, David would be dead chuffed if he knew that folk who actually liked him were talking about him 30 odd years after his death. Don't concern yourself with the brain dead, they were poor tools when they were young and will go to their own deaths still being so.

I'll see you later young Lidgard, a lot later I hope. :thumbsup:

I'll second that ..I liked David and met him originally around 65/66 in the Sidewalk when Harry Hart had it. wasn't his mothers name Mary..a quite glamorous blonde lady.

.A really nice guy ..remember competing with him at mad speeds coming back from Manchester at 3 in the morning in his Mustang ..must have been about '74!

I think you are right it was Mary, very nice lady, I think David was left a lot of money from her mother, then another load from another relative later. (Not 100%sure but I think thats right.) Regarding driving fast i remember him turning up at Fiveways hotly pursued by Police cars. Mick Lee was the Manager hid him in a store room!

I'll second that ..I liked David and met him originally around 65/66 in the Sidewalk when Harry Hart had it. wasn't his mothers name Mary..a quite glamorous blonde lady.

.A really nice guy ..remember competing with him at mad speeds coming back from Manchester at 3 in the morning in his Mustang ..must have been about '74!

I think you are right it was Mary, very nice lady, I think David was left a lot of money from her mother, then another load from another relative later. (Not 100%sure but I think thats right.) Regarding driving fast i remember him turning up at Fiveways hotly pursued by Police cars. Mick Lee was the Manager hid him in a store room!

Somewhere in the memory bank, I think that his dad (the proprietor of The Plumtree Cafe) was killed in a car crash, hence the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just read the replies posted by Zenia those thereafter on 29 March. Thank you to everyone who has kindly taken the time to rack their brains and memories for the information and then taken the trouble to put it in print. All very useful and interesting.

What memories this brings back. Ey, them wer days!! My names Carol but not the one you're looking for I'm afraid. Used to work in the Blades little shop (called Development Office as it was in charge of the golden goal tickets etc as well). Loved the Penny Farthing, meeting the footballers and the various parties that ensued afterwards. Would have been between 1967 and 69 when I used to go.

Bloomin eck, wot memories of the swinghing sixties in Sheffield - I remember all the names and places you have all mentioned - litle blonde Dave Lidgard swanning in to the Sidewalk flashing his cash - wide boy Lance Edwards - Rowland Castleton became a personal friend of my late husband and myself - great times to remember - driving half cut out to the pubs in derbyshire and back - never got caught ha ha - don't envy kids today at all - we had fantastic times!!!

What memories this brings back. Ey, them wer days!! My names Carol but not the one you're looking for I'm afraid. Used to work in the Blades little shop (called Development Office as it was in charge of the golden goal tickets etc as well). Loved the Penny Farthing, meeting the footballers and the various parties that ensued afterwards. Would have been between 1967 and 69 when I used to go.

Out of all the professional footballers that used to frequent the Penny at that time, Neil Warnock has done the best out of the lot of them, and he only played for Chesterfield in those days.