Rivelin View Hotel Bolehill Rd

Dawdie

Hi

Does anyone remember the Rivelin View Hotel on Bolehill Rd.I believe it was demolished after the Sheffield Gales1961 left it unsound.Or did it just get demolished with the old cottages further along opposite Bolehill school.Has anyone photo's of the pub or the cottages?

Audrey

Hello Audrey,

I fancy this will be from before your time ;) but i thought you might be interested in this obituary of an old landlord of this pub. I have this because we sometimes talk about this man on our guided tours of Walkley Cemetery.

Sheffield Daily Independent 1 May 1917

‘MUM EXPERT

DEATH OF MR. JAMES HARRISON, A FAMED SHEFFIELD AMATEUR.

Many people in the Sheffield district will regret to hear of the death of Mr. James Harrison, one of the old school of working man chrysanthemum experts and landlord of the Rivelin View Hotel, Walkley, which occurred on Saturday last. His age was 64 years. For some months he had been in an unsatisfactory state of health, and recently had a nasty accident, which gave him a serious shaking and necessitated his going into hospital.

Prior to going to Rivelin Mr. Harrison, or “Jimmy” as he preferred to be called, kept other houses in that end of Sheffield and was well-known on that account; but more especially for his enthusiasm for horticulture. In the days when he worked as a grinder, and before the growing of show chrysanthemums had attained to the popularity that it now has, he was an enthusiast in mastering the secrets of producing mammoth, perfect blooms. Since that time he devoted nearly all his leisure to the art, with the result that he was one of England’s expert amateurs at the business.

He won many prizes, especially with in-curved varieties, and triumphed in national shows at derby and elsewhere – not to speak of local successes – to the extent of carrying off leading honours in all England classes. It was no uncommon thing for him to stay up all night watching special blooms and taking other measures to ensure that they would be perfect for the show bench on the appointed day. He would spend many hours, too, trimming and perfecting the curl of the petals. In short he loved his flowers as tenderly as children, and was never tired of discoursing on them and the merits and demerits of different methods of culture. Thus to a large extent his house became a Mecca for “mum” lovers.

Mr. Harrison leaves a widow and several grown up children; one of whom, a well-know runner, is now serving in France. The funeral will be tomorrow.

Hugh in Walkley

Hi Hugh

Thank you for this very interesting article. I remember the Pub well.It had a Gents outside urinal attached to it which my father use to use on our way home from our long walks through the Rivelin Valley,the nearest he ever got to a Pub being a lifelong t

eetotaller

Best Wishes

Audrey

Archived