High Hazels Park

stupot

My Dad used to take me to the park when they had the big 'horses' back in the late 60s. I used to get candy floss from the shop at the bottom of the park and I took my kids there when I moved back to Sheffield. I even recall the shop in the park being open sometimes.

I know there was some funding attracted more recently and various activities were put on. It is a lovely park with amazing views but it's on the 'wrong' side of Sheffield to have the status it deserves. It is a beautiful park.

My Dad used to take me to the park when they had the big 'horses' back in the late 60s. I used to get candy floss from the shop at the bottom of the park and I took my kids there when I moved back to Sheffield. I even recall the shop in the park being open sometimes.

I know there was some funding attracted more recently and various activities were put on. It is a lovely park with amazing views but it's on the 'wrong' side of Sheffield to have the status it deserves. It is a beautiful park.

Unfortunately,our development team didn't survive this year's cuts,and the Friends group don't have the capacity to put events on ourselves,so there will probably be fewer activities in the next few years.Also,maintenance might be reduced.

The Friends group are looking at corporate volunteering to try and fill the gap.Carillion plc have adopted us as their charity,and sent volunteers to help us restore the ornamental areas in the park.Veolia plc also sent a team on one occasion,and we have had interest from both universities.I think this is the way we will have to go in the future.

• 2 years later...
l remember it well they used to hire out bicycles by the hour .

l also remember a tree in the park with a horse shoe wedged into it claimed to be off Dick Turpins (The highway mans) horse it was

certainly a very old shoe as the tree had grown around it.

We also used to go fishing for sticklebacks in the duck pond by the band stand. Boy, is there anyone as old as me out there

I think I might fit in there kiwi -are you talking about the clay sided pond that later was made into the boating lake there was also a kids paddling pool always empty near where Russian edna was murdered

---------- Post added 26-03-2014 at 16:28 ----------

My first job age 16 in 1952 was at Darnall Day Nursery situated opposite the entrance to High Hazels Park.

On a fine day we used to take the children into the park in the afternoons. 2 or 3 babies in large carriage prams, about 4 prams with a dozen babies and about 30 toddlers age 2 to 4 yrs old

At the top of the hill was a concrete base like a paddling pool with no water in it. We used to have the children play in it as a sort of playground keeping them all together. The pool was aways empty, never saw any water in it.

The highlight of the day was when the local fire engine used to race up and down the paths, I presume they were training there.

We would spread out blankets to sit on and sandwiches and milk for the children, then pile the babies back in the prams and take them back to the nursery. Matron used to come out and stop any traffic for us to cross the rd. ( probably one car.)

I remember Russian Edna being found dead in the park and police calling into the nursery for cups of tea.

hazel

I am not going to say hi hazel so I will just say hello -yes I can remember the dry paddling pool I think it was at the side of the hut where edna was murdered I can also remember your nursery as well

---------- Post added 26-03-2014 at 16:35 ----------

While you're in the area,go through the gate on the left where the track dips,up the hill onto the 70-acre hill nature reserve.

This was the spoil heap from the opencasting British Coal carried out before the airport was built,and has been re-colonised by a range of birds,insects,wildflowers etc.,encouraged by the work of the Darnall Green Spaces team,based in High Hazels Park.There's also a herd of highland cattle up there. Friends of High Hazels have just received funding for signage and interpretation boards for the entrance,these should go up in the next few months. The Green Spaces team in the old cafe building in the park can tell you more.

the path was called the snake and the crater we turned into the wall of death there was a stump there people said was the middle of the woods

• 3 weeks later...

hello I remember going to h h wen I were a lad walking with the parades marching then all of a sudden everyone had gone remember the roller skating ring as well me and my family pulled the old bandstand down at the back of the boating lake .:(

• 4 months later...

Archived