What does 'Temporary' mean to you?

mealz

please answer the following question.....What do you understand by the term 'temporary'?

it would really help with my masters to gain some points of view.

'Temporary' in general but also 'temporary' in terms of design.......answers on a post card

General: not intended to last very long, not permanent, in place for a finite length of time.

Design: makeshift, work in progress, stand-in, not the finished product, rough draft, heath robinson contraption (one of my gramda's fave sayings), sketch.

GOOGLE

Temporary is a term that denotes a finite period of time, with a defined beginning and an end. It is derived from the Latin temporarius "of seasonal character, lasting a short time," from tempus (gen. temporis) "time, season." It is the opposite of permanent.

When we had 'temps' at work they were generally there to fill a gap - covering for absent staff, helping out during exceptionally busy times or for short term specific pieces of work. Mind you, we had 'temps' who were there 'temporarily' for years! A few of them were made permanent members of staff after a complaint that they had worked there long enough without a break to be considered no longer temporary (think it's a 2 year rule or something like that).

In design, similar sort of thing really, something of short-term use until a long term solution is found/made.

Mind you, something can be thought of as permanent (I think the difference is in the intention) which is then replaced/disposed of before something which was considered temporary. So maybe it's in the initial thinking or belief rather than the eventual longevity of something. I guess it would also vary on the normal life-cycle of each item so something that would normally be expected to last 20 years but has been bought/designed for a 2 year period may be classed as temporary, whereas something that would be expected to last 1 year and is bought/designed to last for 1 year could be considered as permanent.

Archived