If the Conservatives win the election how high will unemployment rise?

There aren't many state industries haemorrhaging money nowadays; Thatcher got rid of them all. Consequently there is not much need to shut them all down and throw a couple of million on the dole; the couple-of-million aren't even there in the first place.

Most of 'em are probably still claiming invalidity benefit, as that's what the Tories did to keep 'em out of the unemployment figures!

The cut and paste was to highlight why so many jobs were lost in the nationalised industries. The point was the EU had outlawed subsidies in steel and from 1975 (long before Thatcher) plans were made to modernize the industry.[/b]

Whether or not the steel industry was in need of modernisation doesn't detract from the fact that many communities were decimated during the Thatcher years. People remember that, at their time of greatest need, their government deserted them; they were the forgotten ones without a future whilst the speculative classes made even more money through property and share issues.

That is why the tories won't win - People Remember.

You make me laugh a lot, but I am happy to wager £500 that you are wrong. Would you like to take me up on that?

I think the result which be much closer than some people think.

Hopefully people will remember what a mess the Tories made of it back in the day.

I think the result which be much closer than some people think.

Hopefully people will remember what a mess the Tories made of it back in the day.

I agree. Could you see the Tories raising winter fuel payments, or tax credits, or child benefit, or the minimum wage? I could go on.

I agree. Could you see the Tories raising winter fuel payments, or tax credits, or child benefit, or the minimum wage? I could go on.

What far distant planet are you residing on at the moment?

Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling and Mandy have ALL announced that there will be cuts if Labour win a fourth term. Don't you believe them? Personally, I believe it's the first truthful word any of them have uttered in public for many years.

You should be good enough to do that simple bit of maths even with our comprehensive education system.

Come on then enlighten us, productivity goes up 300% but output only goes up 50% show us your sums, I will start you of:-

Productivity - a measure of output from a production process, per unit of input

output - final product; the things produced

Come on then enlighten us, productivity goes up 300% but output only goes up 50% show us your sums, I will start you of:-

Productivity - a measure of output from a production process, per unit of input

output - final product; the things produced

Actually for once in his life I think our non anarchist is correct.

If output (units produced) increases by 50% by achieving a 50% reduction in input then productivity (output divided by input) has increased threefold.

Input Output Productivity

100 100 100%

50 150 300%

Archived