Anyone visit Moorlands Crown pub today?

Bilbo Baggin

We usually eat here once or twice a week for the past few weeks we found that service has been lacking somewhat. Today was the final straw we will not be eating there every again.

We were informed when we came to order our food that they no longer do alternatives to the carvery so that was 3 disappointed people in our party that usually have the ploughmans while the rest of us have the carveries. Not only that but they no longer do the lemon fizz drink which the kids in our party usually have, that's 4 disappointed little ones that had to drink cola.

We eventually found a clean table put our drinks down and went to get our food, We waited for about 9 minutes with the table assistants going in shouting carver but no one came out, The lady who was 7th behind me complained and asked why there was such a long wait, A lady came out and said we are short staffed and Laurance the carver was dealing with a joint despite there being 3 newish looking joints on the table just waiting to be carved and that he would be about 4 or 5 minutes!

After what seemed like ages a grumpy looking youth came out and carved our meat, well 2 of our parties, then he disappeared back into the kitchen for a further few minutes. By this time there was such a long line building up. When we finally tooked into our food the potatoes were hard and stale having been stood some time. We had to reach over another table and ask if we could borrow their salt as there was none on our table and no serviettes.

A lady 2 tables away went to complain and was told they were short staffed, when she said staffing wasn't her problem the assistant just walked off shaking her head.

No one came to our table to ask if everything was ok, it wasn't infact it's the worst service I have ever experienced and believe me I've ate in many places. Definately a place I will not be going back to in a long time not when there's another pub with great offers on just around the corner.

Was anyone else from this forum in that line and what did you think of todays service?

If it is such a wonderful pub and offers round the corner why didnt you go there in the first place and stopped us all having to look at your bluddy long moaning!! This is what is wrong with this country no one understands any more. They were short staffed doh can you not accept that and make allowances instead of adding to their pressure. The wonderful place round what ever corner maybe one day short staffed, but god help them if you are in on that day.

I love this place and pile my plate sky high everytime. I go to the one at the Crosspool Tavern occasionally. The service is pretty slow at both (bar and carvery) but when you're only paying a few quid I kind of accept it (its a bit like Aldi/Lidl/Netto, you pay less but they scrimp on the service).

I do agree at minimum you should expect to find a clean table.

I really wouldn't expect a meal to be that great for £3.50 even if they weren't short staffed. Complaining to them even after they have said they are short staffed is pointless. What would you expect them to do? Just rustle up a few extra staff from thin air? They had two options. Either close the carvery completely and have lots of very unhappy customers or open the carvery and do the best they can. I think your criticism is a bit harsh for a meal that costs so little.

And you say you eat here twice a week? You actually eat in the same pub twice a week?? So you visit this place more than 100 times a year (which is in my opinion a bit sad) and you've only just noticed the poor quality of the food and service?

Maybe you should try a bit of home cooking instead. It'll be cheaper and tastier. Unless your cooking skills are even less impressive than the carvery chefs.

Archived