Justice for Matt (Greyhound) - Update on Progress

molly was back to her best last friday....romped home at 5/1.....had a nice little wedge on her...mind you she has got a boyfriend..that shares her kennel.....august the 6th...well supported night for the matthew cryer memorial trophy...special thanks to owlerton stadium for the donation of the 150 tickets..that has raised the funds to buy the bench for the cemetary.....big piece in star tomorrow about the lack of action by our lack lustre foreign office...backbone of a maggot the lot of them...justice for matt

• 9 months later...

justice for matt is running in a greyhound final this saturday, she has been resting for a few months but has won her last two races...

but we feel that it is time to hang up her rabbit chasing days....so saturday the 30th of june will see her bow out at owlerton stadium...

from then on she will be opening the matt-fest on the 14th of july at the birley hotel...

before resting in front of a cosy fire...thank you for supporting our greyhound..

Ist and 2nd last two races. I have been watching Molly drop down the grades during her racing career [normal as they age], she is one lucky dog to survive. So many end up dead. There are people keeping records now of dogs that 'disappear' off the card..they should all be accounted for..however, good luck to your little girl this weekend and glad to hear she has a home lined up.

Ist and 2nd last two races. I have been watching Molly drop down the grades during her racing career [normal as they age], she is one lucky dog to survive. So many end up dead. There are people keeping records now of dogs that 'disappear' off the card..they should all be accounted for..however, good luck to your little girl this weekend and glad to hear she has a home lined up.

she has now done her bit for the cause....been offered good money for her...but she is not for sale....

got a lovely home for her...and wide open spaces for her to run about in...

she will be opening our matt-fest in july...free festival with some great bands on...

we too hope she wins saturday....but we will have a great turn out for her last race in june...

GOOD ON YOU eastbank! you appear to be one of the few 'good' owners. If Molly has raised awareness for Matt then I'm glad...in hindsight though, would you recommend greyhound ownership to anyone? Keeping in mind that the right thing to do is provide the dog with a secure future [should it survive]...

GOOD ON YOU eastbank! you appear to be one of the few 'good' owners. If Molly has raised awareness for Matt then I'm glad...in hindsight though, would you recommend greyhound ownership to anyone? Keeping in mind that the right thing to do is provide the dog with a secure future [should it survive]...

greyhound racing is an industry...the dogs are a commodity, breeding on mass with only the strong surviving...

when we bought swiss roll/justice for matt...she was lucky

she has raced 100 times since 2010...

now she is packing her bags and retiring...

but greyhound racing is enjoyed by thousands every week...so it will never be stopped...

the top dogs are worth thousands...but for every one of them..there are thousands that just don't make it...and nobody wants them...sad but true

as for greyhound ownership...i wouldn't take on another dog....its a few quid to keep a dog...the only winners are the trainers/track owners/bookies....

No eastbank..the only winners are the bookies. Trainers are struggling, owners are leaving the sport as the recession bites and their 'hobby' becomes unsustainable. I really despair that people like yourself seem quite happy to accept that a dog [mans best friend???] can be just a 'betting unit' and disposed of whenever it is no longer useful. God...the human race is so SICK.

No eastbank..the only winners are the bookies. Trainers are struggling, owners are leaving the sport as the recession bites and their 'hobby' becomes unsustainable. I really despair that people like yourself seem quite happy to accept that a dog [mans best friend???] can be just a 'betting unit' and disposed of whenever it is no longer useful. God...the human race is so SICK.

its a sport...like it or not...whether i place a bet or not...just like horse racing...as for the sport dying on its feet...our trainer looks after 40 dogs and gets a good living out of it...

there are a good ten meeting a day....thats a lot of dogs running every week...what would happen to them if the plug was pulled tomorrow...

No, it's not a sport. Can't post a link but the IGB and European rules now admit this. As for your trainer making a good living...no he won't be, no trainers are! The only thing your trainer has going for him is that his kennels are at the track so, unlike his counterparts he has no diesel costs getting to and from meetings. Have a word with Russ..he will tell you just how much the bookies are taking the p**s out of trainers and owners...and the REAL losers are the poor dogs....

Archived