Diabetes - Which food causes your highest BS readings?

As the thread title says, Which food causes you to have the highest Blood sugar levels?

I know that sugar and pasta etc cause increased levels but was wondering what specifically makes your BS sky rocket.

Mine is fresh orange juice, I try to steer clear of it but do occasionally have a glass. My aunts is always boiled sweets, for obvious reason and it made me curious.

I have type 2 diabetes btw.

Melon and grapes are surprisingly high in sugars, but if you take them in moderation, then you should be okay.

Small portions of sweet stuff like cakes should not hurt you if they are only an occasional treat, and if you make sure that you have them with your main meal, so that your sugars don't spike too badly.

the diabetes nurse told me that for a hypo, the best thing to get our blood sugars to come back up, was 100ml of orange juice.

and, stagey, a little of what we fancy does us good, as the saying goes!!

My blood sugar goes up very quickly when I've had oj so I have to agree with the nurse. Jam is pretty much the worst thing I'd imagine, fruit and sugar lol

I like a dab of jam on my toast, in the morning, but I dislike it absolutely trowelled on.

I prefer just a teaspoonful, and no more.

• 1 year later...

You'll also find that mashed potatoes take your blood sugar up faster than say roast potatoes or chips. It's because it is already 'part digested'

Apart from the obvious, jam, marmalade, sweets, cakes etc. There are some others that are surprising, Grapes, Strawberries and oranges. Rice and pasta are also culprits. My son is Type 1

Archived