Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

8 hours ago, kt74 said:

My Mum was their singer Jean (Georgia) she is still with us and lives in Sussex :)

Georgia,  what a singer,  without a doubt the best singer on the club circuit in the 60s..

Better than Shirley Bassey in my opinion..

My favourite was when she did "Somewhere over the rainbow" superb.

Bobby Knutt played guitar for them as well.

• 2 years later...

In 1970-71 I was with a band based at Sussex Uni., Redhead Yorke. One of my colleagues was a Sheffield lad, Pete Warren (now back in Sheffield after some decades living in Sussex). He was matey with McCloskey's Apocalypse, & they got us a weekend's gigs in Sheffield: 2 pubs, & then City Hall supporting Edgar Broughton & the Pink Fairies. In return we (well, Pete) got them a showcase gig at Sussex Uni. I was there, & have sung the band's praises ever since. The stage antics were something else: besides Mick's fire eating, Ray did a stunt which I've never heard of anybody repeating, perhaps for understandable reasons: hunched over his Strat, which was howling with feedback, he suddenly whipped it off, swung it round his head, & hurled it out over the audience's heads, on a long lead; a roadie planted 30 or 40 feet out in the audience leapt to catch it & hurled it back to Ray. I've never forgotten the image of the Strat flying through  the air screaming as it went, sort of like a wounded bird.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Padders said:

I was a child in the 60's

My memories of bands like the Dave Clark Five are a bit sketchy, but I can remember bits and pieces...

I think you're perhaps 'Tea pot liddin'' a little Mr,P. as of recollections  of bands of the early/mid 60s.

Edited by St Petre
add
  • Haha 1