Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

Thanks a million acman. That little piece of info has been bugging me for quite a while. Its usually my short term memory that fails me but just recently ive noticed my long term memory is getting worse. Its the ageing process so I suppose its only to be put up with.I can well remember many great nights round the Sheffield club scene in the sixties and seventies. By the club scene im referring to wmc,s.My lovely wife and I did the rounds following the top turns and we have many happy memories so thanks again Acman.

New Jersey were long after the 60s with an old friend Roger Harrison on Drums.

• 2 weeks later...

Drumbeats only member still gigging will be with his band 'Canyon' at the Fishpond Matlock Bath Saturday 22n August.

Would be really great to meet up with people from the golden days.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 21:21 ----------

Around that time there was a band called 'New Jersey Turnpike' would that be them?

Sure was, they were top club band and made a short comeback as 'Reunion'.

Knew quite a few guys mentioned on this thread in the early sixties, got up and did my Elvis routine with a few local bands at the time, especially Pete Fender and the Strollers, in their early days i.e. Mal Hooley on bass, Graham Swift on drums, Sniggy Blackburn rhythm, and forgot the lead guitarists name, even though I sat in his front room jamming away in Brinsworth, and of course Trefor Jones( Boner), aka Pete Fender, who sadly left us tragically in 1967. Ray Platts was also a friend of mine in those days, better known on here as Ray Vern, and last but not least,, I also got up and did a few with Vance Arnold, courtesy of my mates and Steve McKenna, urging me on, Steve knew me from school. Often wondered how many of these guys are still around. I recently read the book, Not like a proper job. and Mal Hooley was quoted a lot. Hope to hear from somebody. great times

Edited by TORONTONY

Knew quite a few guys mentioned on this thread in the early sixties, got up and did my Elvis routine with a few local bands at the time, especially Pete Fender and the Strollers, in their early days i.e. Mal Hooley on bass, Graham Swift on drums, Sniggy Blackburn rhythm, and forgot the lead guitarists name, even though I sat in his front room jamming away in Brinsworth, and of course Trefor Jones( Boner), aka Pete Fender, who sadly left us tragically in 1967. Ray Platts was also a friend of mine in those days, better known on here as Ray Vern, and last but not least,, I also got up and did a few with Vance Arnold, courtesy of my mates and Steve McKenna, urging me on, Steve knew me from school. Often wondered how many of these guys are still around. I recently read the book, Not like a proper job. and Mal Hooley was quoted a lot. Hope to hear from somebody. great times
........was there a band called Ray Vern and the Chequers/Tremors?.........you will have seen a pic of me in the book! Edited by mossdog

Hi Torontony ,the guitarists name from Brinsworth would be Dave Rawson

Dave sounds right, don't think I ever knew his surname anyway. Very quiet guy, ,but real nice lad. I can see his face from all those years ago but could not remember the Dave part, Thanks for that.

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 18:13 ----------

........was there a band called Ray Vern and the Chequers/Tremors?.........you will have seen a pic of me in the book!

Chequers is correct, Tremors was Ray Stuart, Don' think there are any pictures of the Chequers in the book, so you must have been with the Tremors, as there are pictures of them in the book.

Hi Torontony,to add to the Dave Rawson thing apart from being an excellent guitarist he actually looked the part .He looked as if he had just walked out of Carnaby St ,a carbon copy of Roy Emerson very flamboyant I really thought he was destined for better things but sadly like most of the wannabes of the time it wasn't to be ,I think he still lives in the Penistone area,ahh halcyon days.