Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

Dave sounds right, don't think I ever knew his surname anyway. Very quiet guy, ,but real nice lad. I can see his face from all those years ago but could not remember the Dave part, Thanks for that.

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 18:13 ----------

Chequers is correct, Tremors was Ray Stuart, Don' think there are any pictures of the Chequers in the book, so you must have been with the Tremors, as there are pictures of them in the book.

Not the tremors! although I once debt' with the Monsters backing Ray at Cafe Dansent in Cleethorpes,.........run by Martin Yale who first signed up Joe Cocker.(who I also debt' with at Sheffield students Union when Dave Green was ill) my other bands were numerous!.....as you can see if you go back a few pages!

Met up with Ian from Ian & The Drumbeats on Saturday, Ian will be at The Fishpond Matlock Bath on this coming Saturday 22nd.

We're hoping that Ian will feel fit enough to get up and have a go.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 17:29 ----------

Not the tremors! although I once debt' with the Monsters backing Ray at Cafe Dansent in Cleethorpes,.........run by Martin Yale who first signed up Joe Cocker.(who I also debt' with at Sheffield students Union when Dave Green was ill) my other bands were numerous!.....as you can see if you go back a few pages!

Well when the the Monsters appeared at the Azena it was a split gig between the Tremors and the Monsters who in actual fact were the one in the same I know this for a fact as the same dressing room was shared by all of us.

Edited by May Blob

Hi Torontony,to add to the Dave Rawson thing apart from being an excellent guitarist he actually looked the part .He looked as if he had just walked out of Carnaby St ,a carbon copy of Roy Emerson very flamboyant I really thought he was destined for better things but sadly like most of the wannabes of the time it wasn't to be ,I think he still lives in the Penistone area,ahh halcyon days.

There was one other member of the original Strollers from Brinsworth too, that being the drummer Graham Swift, also their manager Wilf Wake, lived on the same street atop of Whitehill, did you know them? Wilf went on to manage the Chequers later on. All the rest were from around Swallownest I think , I know the band was formed at Swallownest secondary school as I had a few mates who attended the school at that time, that is how I got to know about them initially.

Yes I remember it well,El Cheapo electronics with substandard quality it really was the bottom of the ladder for young would be groups but it was all we could afford in those days as money was tight.The next rung up on the ladder at that time was Bradley's on Barkers Pool or Johnsons Electrics on Staniforth Road Darnall

Yes I remember it well,El Cheapo electronics with substandard quality it really was the bottom of the ladder for young would be groups but it was all we could afford in those days as money was tight.The next rung up on the ladder at that time was Bradley's on Barkers Pool or Johnsons Electrics on Staniforth Road Darnall

Don't forget Cranes in the Wicker.

My second bass rig came from Johnson Electrics on Staniforth Rd before they moved to Berkely precinct on Ecclesall Road................Gibson EBO bass guitar and Selmer Treble.n.Bass 50 watt. with David speaker cabinet.Later bought a Binson echorec plus a Carlsboro PA system from Ecclesall Rd.

And don't forget Wilson Pecks sold many Guitars

,including Gibson acoustics!

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 16:46 ----------

Does anyone remember RSC in the market building who sold Linear amplifiers that were used by quite a few groups?
Once bought a Linear Concord 50 with a 15" speaker in a bass cabinet!.......crap!!!...it sounded like it had a fuzz pedal attached to it! Edited by mossdog

My second bass rig came from Johnson Electrics on Staniforth Rd before they moved to Berkely precinct on Ecclesall Road................Gibson EBO bass guitar and Selmer Treble.n.Bass 50 watt. with David speaker cabinet.Later bought a Binson echorec plus a Carlsboro PA system from Ecclesall Rd.

And don't forget Wilson Pecks sold many Guitars

,including Gibson acoustics!

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 16:46 ----------

Once bought a Linear Concord 50 with a 15" speaker in a bass cabinet!.......crap!!!...it sounded like it had a fuzz pedal attached to it!

After the Linear I moved on to a Bass version Vox AC30 which had Bass speakers. when needed I sat it on top of my RSC 18" {Goodmans Audiom 90} cab and wired it into the AC30, what a bottom end sound that created on the Memorial Hall Hillborough.

I had a Rosetti Solid Seven in 1960 but I'm sure it was a cheap one. All guitars I played didn't sound too good. Hence The Raiders were never famous. But we did play on the same stage as Joe Cocker when he was Vance Arnold. Same stage but different Saturdays. St. Columbas, Crosspool 1960-61.

After the Linear I moved on to a Bass version Vox AC30 which had Bass speakers. when needed I sat it on top of my RSC 18" {Goodmans Audiom 90} cab and wired it into the AC30, what a bottom end sound that created on the Memorial Hall Hillborough.
Was not aware the AC30 bass model speakers were any different to the Treble model speakers although the amp part was a little different. i never played the "Memo although nearly every where else in those days .I played St,Colombos the night I got married.Needed the cash, £2.00. !!!! quarter share.