Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

My cousin, Roy Pitchford played with the Blue Harmony Boys. He now lives in York.[/quote

Hi..I'm Roy Pitchford's daughter.Is this Peter L?! Yes Dad was pianist for Blue Harmony Boys in Sheffield c 1960+ .He remembers Jim Rich snr and his son (JRof Dallas) from NCO club Germany & sends his regards!!Says he remembers you inviting them to a Thanksgiving meal and asking him if he "spoke English"!!!Dad indeed is in York now.Lost contact with you..message me!This thread wont let me personal message people!

I'm Mel Scotts son (Singer/Guitar for the Blue Harmony Boys). He currently lives in Mexborough, South Yorkshire. If any one has any photos they can share, or would like to get in touch, let me know (scotherns@gmail.com).

Edited by scotherns
Added e-mail address

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just saw your posts about Jimmy Powell. I used to work/hang around with him in 67/68. Did quite a few gigs around the UK and went to Top Ten club Hamburg and Star Pallast Keil Germany. I've got quite a few memories and stories from that time. If you contact him ask him if he remembers Natta the Nutter from Spennymoor County Durham. My names Derek but he used to take the mickey out of my north east accent by calling me Natta the Nutter in broad geordie. If he still wants some stories etc I can put some together and email them to you. Some may be of interest. The reason I was looking Jimmy up was because for some reason I had a dream about him last night. I looked him up on google a few years ago and bought the hits album which brought some great memories back. Let me know anyway. It would be great to have some banter about that period as. Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this photo of a sheffield band "Pete Lloyd and the Strangers and am trying to fit names to faces. I have some, as the photo has them listed, but the names of some, are cropped. I am interested in seeing any other photos of them too ?

Hi Torontony,to add to the Dave Rawson thing apart from being an excellent guitarist he actually looked the part .He looked as if he had just walked out of Carnaby St ,a carbon copy of Roy Emerson very flamboyant I really thought he was destined for better things but sadly like most of the wannabes of the time it wasn't to be ,I think he still lives in the Penistone area,ahh halcyon days.

Perhaps Keith Emerson (Lake and Palmer)? As Roy Emerson was a world class Australian tennis player... but then.....

I have this photo of a sheffield band "Pete Lloyd and the Strangers and am trying to fit names to faces. I have some, as the photo has them listed, but the names of some, are cropped. I am interested in seeing any other photos of them too ?

I think they were actually a Rotherham band, as I saw them there most of the time. Don't know any names though. I do think there maybe info on this thread if you search it. I do recall somebody talking about band members, but don't know which page.

---------- Post added 02-05-2016 at 10:59 ----------

Perhaps Keith Emerson (Lake and Palmer)? As Roy Emerson was a world class Australian tennis player... but then.....

Well when I knew him I was sixteen and so was he, I think, both baby faced kids, so as he got older I guess he could have looked like either of the Emerson's lol;)

Edited by TORONTONY

Does anyone remember the bands of the sixties?

Sheffield had the greatest music scene next to Liverpool.

Come on you old musos, lets hear from you!

I was in The Whirlwinds and so was Dave Hawley and Lyn and Jean one married Frank White and Lynn married Dave Hawley. Johhny Ryder went on as a duo with his new wife and a hit in the top ten in USA. I remember talking Joe Cocker out of doing an audition for our group, good job i did !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I can give you a bit of a lead re: Dene Marshall from Dene Marshall & the Deputy's. Dene was actually Barry Marshall who went on to play with the LIZARDS & also ended up with the SQUARE CIRCLES I think.

Guys who played with them were Gerry Scanlan, Billy Durrant Phil Squires &there was also Alan Dale as singer of the Squiare Circles.

These two bands were very popular in the late 60's early 70's & good bands too. Would love to hear any news of any of them if anyone has any.

Hi there, I have just come across your thread, Alan Dale was my cousin he went on to be one of the first mobile discos in Sheffield. Unfortunately Alan passed away earlier this year after battling cancer, very sad.

Hi Billam, thanks for making contact. Through the forum I actually got in touch with a few of the guys who played in the Square Circles & we now keep in touch on a regular basis. They also contacted Alan & used to meet up with Alan & his wife occasionally. Alan & I exchanged a few letters & I knew he had been very ill for quite a long time. Three of the Square Circles were at Alan's funeral & I think from what they told me you spoke with them all. I was very sad to hear of his death as they were good times back in the 60's & they are all good guys. I do hope Alan's wife & daughter are OK since his death. It's very hard for the ones left behind isn't it? Alan was a good singer & it's funny because I ALWAYS thought of him when I hear Duke of Earl & we used to laugh about him singing it because, I always used to request it & some times, he was too tired to reach the high notes. I thought it very fitting that they played it at his funeral a lovely touch. Once again thanks for contacting me.