Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

Dave Berry eh? The Crying Game! Only hit record he ever made wasn't it? I've still got a copy on a 45.

It's a little bit before my time this really, I was only a babe growing up in the 60's, but with two older brothers at home I got exposed to a lot of the 60's stuff. The Dave Berry record is a hand-me-down, from my big bruv.

My memory of him, apart from watching his name rotate on a 45 beneath the fluff-gathering stylus of my Dansette, was seeing him out on the town in the 1970's. He used to dress like Bela Lugosi and strut around the clubs and The Nursery Tavern. Folks would whisper, "that's Dave Berry!" because he was something of a celebrity figure. But he'd had his day by then in terms of fame I think?

Other bands I remember from my era would be "ABC" - who I think made the big time for a while - and a band called "The Push". A friend of mine was a drummer for them. Crackin' lad - with a slight resemblance to Ringo Starr.

Dave berry appeared at cubley hall near Penistone about twenty years ago his act was mainly covers of free and bad company songs as you say fame passed him by in the sixties but he is still a good entertainer.

• 1 month later...

Wow That's taken me back to my childhood talking about Joe Cocker. My very much older brother used to be in a well respected jazz band on the clubs, and also repaired artists' equipment at home. When they came to collect it and sometimes had to wait a bit, I'd make them draw animals for me while they had a cuppa. They'd sit me on their knees and oblige me. Joe Cocker came one day and he sat me on his knee too. My dad stood in for Joe's roadie for about a week or two when his van driver broke his foot or something, and couldn't drive.

The saxophonist in my brother's jazz band appeared as a saxophonist in the comedy 'Mars Attacks' the US movie. He had black fuzzy hair and black tash. He used to bunk up with my brother at our house when bunking up was not given a second thought. Those were the days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi,

I realise this may be a bit of a long shot but my dad (Ron Blythe) used to play guitar with Glen Dale and the Candies back in the sixties (And then numerous other bands).

We don't have any photo's of his time with the Candies and just thought i'd ask if anyone may have any?