Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

27 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Does anyone remember Panic? Can't say as I do but they seem to have been a decent outfit.

That was excellent Jim,looks like Mal Hooley(RIP)on bass behind the long hair and beard, he was a great bass player even at 16. Could be wrong as I wasn't up with the scene that late in the decade, so don't recognise the name of the band, I knew Mal in the early 60s when that look had not yet arrived.lol. The lead guy sounded a bit like Peter Green,founder of Fleetwood Mac, but forgot what he looked like.

2 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

That was excellent Jim,looks like Mal Hooley(RIP)on bass behind the long hair and beard, he was a great bass player even at 16. Could be wrong as I wasn't up with the scene that late in the decade, so don't recognise the name of the band, I knew Mal in the early 60s when that look had not yet arrived.lol. The lead guy sounded a bit like Peter Green,founder of Fleetwood Mac, but forgot what he looked like.

Not Peter Green although he did play Weston Park, probably in 1970.

58 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not Peter Green although he did play Weston Park, probably in 1970.

I was just thinking aloud and guessing, because the guy had a similar style and I did know he had played Weston Park around that era. Not 100% sure the bass player is Mal Hooley either to be honest, but behind all the hair there was a resemblance and he could certainly play great.

Talking of Sheffield musicians, and this guy also started out playing bass,can there be anyone with a more prolific body of work than this lad from Woodseats, check the list :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Stainton

53 minutes ago, Mags said:

Does anyone remember the Whirlwinds? It was a group that played the clubs 60s.

I used to go to the Sicey on Thursdays for live groups again 60s

Me as well Mags, remember the candles on the table, and the beer (was it queens).

Can remember the Whirlwinds, great group,  and Pat Leslie and the Greycats, what a voice she had.

57 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Tetleys also did a premium bitter costing a penny or two more. I think it was called Imperial but only a few pubs sold it.

I was confused about Imperial, so checked Wiki and it was introduced in 2002, long after my time over yonder,  Apparently, it was specifically brewed to target NE Yorkshire and was named 'Teeside's own  beer'. Maybe that's why it wasn't abundant in Sheffield.

Edited by Ontarian1981