Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

zeke

Here are some bits I'd like to add.

Joe Cocker.Yep, Joe did down a boatload of booze through the years. When he became famous again in the 80s, Joe was again a busy man and toured worldwide. Those were the days when he wore his hair short and appeared on stage wearing smart suits. The music became more gentle and less rocky and many songs were ballady.

I lived in Germoney at the time. I lived in a small town just east of Hannover...Lehrte. I worked in Hannover. About 1982 when Cocker was in town I went to the Intercontinental Hotel to try to get Joe to sign my lps and cd booklets. He signed my stuff for me but I had the impression he was very cautious. I supposed he'd had bad experiences in the past with strangers trying to get attached in some way... hangers on.

I also met Chris Stainton on this occasion. we chatted for a while and spoke of Sheffield. I recall him mentioning he was originally from Woodseats.We also talked about Sheffield pubs. Chris also mentioned he'd been living quite a long time in Essex.

Anyrooad up, to cut things short, Joe had met an American woman along the way in the recentish past. It seems this lady got Joe off the booze...Jack Daniels etc. She straightened Joe out and he then became a better person for it.

Joe Cocker O.B.E. also packed in his habit of smoking two packs of cigs per day in 1991. He died 23 years later of lung cancer! in 2014

Some songs I really liked sung by Cocker are:

Just like a woman          written by Dylan

Let it be                   written by The Beatles

Something                   Written by George Harrison.

Dave Berry. I recall Dave Berry(Grundy)lived on Robin Lane, in Beighton. I believe he was born there too. Dave attended Woodhouse County Council School. Beighton was then in the Woodhouse Ward of Sheffield. Dave now lives in Dronfield area. I also recall a cousin of Dave Berry, Peter Shaw or Shore..Dave confirmed it when I mentioned the name.

Peter had died in 1969? after falling off the back of a motor scooter possibly on Birley Spa Lane, Hackenthorpe. My next brother up was in the same class as Peter at Carter Lodge Secondary school a few years prior.

Dave Berry has a daughter I used to know, Tanja. A good few years ago she was courting? a man who ran the Jolly Buffer pub(Whitbread) on Ecclesall road. I think Tanya co-ran the pub.

I remember before Tanya was at the Jolly Buffer the pub was ran by a good acquaintance of mine, Sasha. Sasha first came to my attention when he ran a brilliant disco in town, The Sportsman(Tetley) on Cambridge Street. Sasha and I used to chat about him having back ache and gout symptoms from drinking Carling lager. RIP Sasha.

Storyette.

One Wednesday evening about 20 years ago I was in the Slug & Fiddle pub, on Ecclesall Road. The pub was opposite side of the road from the Nursery Tavern(Stones) and a bit lower down. A friend of mine was one of the management that ran the pub...Herbie Armstrong.I suggest a google of Herbie who played in bands:

Van Morrison

Yellow Dog

Fox

and many others including solo stuff.

On this evening the pub had live music like most wednesdays, it was packed out as usual. I noticed Dave Berry come in with three others, one of them turned out to be Dave's missus, Marthy or Marti, a Dutch woman. I dont know how it came about but we got chatting together. We were really shouting so we could be heard because of the loud rock music. At the interval Dave asked me if I fancied going down to the Pomona(Scottish and Newcastle) pub which was also on Ecclesall Road. We left Dave's wife and his two mates standing as we two left for the Pomona...Live jazz was on. During our approx 1 hour there we had a couple of pints each which he paid for..good lad. lol. I drank Theakstons beer. We then returned to the Slug. An enjoyable evening.

I last saw Dave some years back in a charity shop, yep on Ecclesall Road.lol.

Frank White. Ive seen Frank White play at the Pheasant three times. He could certainly handle a guitar. I once had an album he had released on the Fantasy label. A track on that was called Kingdom Hall.

I once saw Frank White knocking on doors trying to impress upon people how wonderful life is to be part of Jehovas Witnesses. Ive seen those people at the Peace Gardens, who only speak when spoken to. Some of their women look quite obedient and I bet they can cook a decent sunday din dins too.   

RIP Frank White.

I remember as a Child in Beighton we used to go to Dave Berry's house on Robin Lane but some people have said he didn't live there.

Thanks for confirming that Zakes.

I hope you are keeping well.

Alex3659.

Edited by Alextopman

Another Sheffield band who do not get a mention are Jimmy James and the Vagabonds , 

They were really big in the late sixties , early seventies , I lived next door to a vagabond , lead guitarist Chris Garside , Watched him on TV one night while he was sat on  our settee ,   a recorded programme . Chris told me he never knew where all the money went he never saw much of it .

We always got free tickets when the band played at the Fiesta .

On 20/12/2023 at 19:03, Padders said:

Very rare you get any bitterness on the History and Expats section.....

Off topic a bit but to reply to Padders

That's because everyone's talking of the old days and nice pastimes,   rather than todays wars and mankind's bloodthirsty methods of killing each other in the other sections.

You only have to mention one race or nationality and somebody pops up to say they should be wiped off the face of the earth.

I have been proposing peace every day for god knows how long but peace doesn't go down very well on SF.

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Another Sheffield band who do not get a mention are Jimmy James and the Vagabonds , 

They were really big in the late sixties , early seventies , I lived next door to a vagabond , lead guitarist Chris Garside , Watched him on TV one night while he was sat on  our settee ,   a recorded programme . Chris told me he never knew where all the money went he never saw much of it .

We always got free tickets when the band played at the Fiesta .

Do you mean Chris Garfield Jud?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alextopman said:

Do you mean Chris Garfield Jud?.

Yes we lived next door to him and his wife Jane , Jane  was Headmistress  at a large School between Mosbro and Marsh Lane during the miners strike ,  She told me that she was in the middle of battling family's at that time, She died a couple of years later ,We went to her funeral at Mosbro Chapel , She was a star .

I always get Chris's name wrong for some reason , We would often meet Jimmy James at their house at Walkley .  Love or Money .     Now is the Time  and so on .

According to his web site he has also been lead guitar and vocalist with Paul Carrack band

Edited by cuttsie

• 5 months later...

Paintbox, two girl singers, and Green Carnation, they tended to do a zany comedy bit so sometimes got tagged show band