Henry's/City bar to re open?

1960boy

I met my husband i Henrys tonight and was very pleasantly surprised although it did take me back 20 years! The staff were very helpful and the range of beers and wines were second to none. I had a large glass of good wine for £3.50 which I think is great value!!

I went into Henry's last night for a beer. Just thought I'd drag this thread up and comment on the place, since it's only been open a couple of weeks. The decor is great - stylish and fairly minimalist, with what look like old church pews for seats, columns all over the shop, some old slates to put drinks on, and some pictures (also for sale) on the walls. They have 12 hand pumps and the beer really was of high quality. I had an amber ale and a mild, both well presented. The barmaid even came across and offered to bring our next pint to our table for us. I'm presuming they won't have table service when it gets busier in there, but the customer service was spot on.

'Busier' brings me onto my main point - it wasn't very busy (could be of a weekend though, I don't know). It's a huge place and, given the great atmosphere and beer, deserves to do well. It's only just down from the Benjamin Huntsman, so fairly central for a night out. So, go and use it before you lose it :)

Coincidentally I enjoyed a similar experience when I popped into Henry's by accident last week (I was actually meeting a friend in the Wetherspoons but was early).

One additional point I would make is that Henry's are selling real ale at extremely reasonable prices; I had a pint of a 4% session beer from an East Midlands brewery (whose name escapes me) for a very reasonable £2.05. When I remarked on how cheap it was for an upmarket city centre venue the barman explained that all the real ales were around a similar price and that they were trying to compete with the other real ale venues nearby, so I presume from that they're trying to strike a balance between the Dev Cat and Wetherspoons. I wish them every success.

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments, it's really heart-warming to see/hear all our hard work appreciated!

With regards to the furniture; the pews are from the Methodist church in Handsworth. We love them! We do plan to purchase more furniture but as we are independent we need to do things gradually, to match the cash flow! Our kitchen will be opening soon (I'll keep you updated on dates and the menu) and we intend to arrange the mezzanine level as a restaurant area, with additional seating up there as well as more seating downstairs too.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

£2.05 a pint? Not bad at all..

And last time I went in I was paying £2.05 for Saltaire Rasberry Blonde. Not bad at all! :D

Now if they can just get hold of some of that gorgeous elderflower beer they were selling in the Harlequin this weekend!

Nice bar, BAD prices. I paid £9.50 for two pints of kriek. Sorry but that is an outrage! :loopy: Having had a pint of the same in the Milestone earlier, costing £6.50 for two. Why is it such a mark up?
That's weird :confused:

From what I've seen, and from what everyone else has said, the prices at Henry's are really low compared to lots of other places.

I can't comment on the beer as I don't drink it, but wine and my favourite pear cider are about half the price of the Wig & Pen!

Are you sure you ordered the same thing in both places? It doesn't seem to make sense...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshboyhere View Post

Nice bar, BAD prices. I paid £9.50 for two pints of kriek. Sorry but that is an outrage! Having had a pint of the same in the Milestone earlier, costing £6.50 for two. Why is it such a mark up?

That's weird

From what I've seen, and from what everyone else has said, the prices at Henry's are really low compared to lots of other places.

I can't comment on the beer as I don't drink it, but wine and my favourite pear cider are about half the price of the Wig & Pen!

Are you sure you ordered the same thing in both places? It doesn't seem to make sense...

Kriek just means cherry. There are tens of different varieties of kriek beers, at different ABVs and from different breweries and different countries. If the Kriek at Henrys is a high alcohol (e.g. 6.5%) variety, then you should only enjoy it in half pints anyway and expect to pay a lot for a pint. It's the same if you really want to order a pint of Last Rites (11%) at the Kelham Island Tavern - it will be £4 odd per pint, to discourage you from being foolish and drinking pints of the stuff :)

Archived