Punk / metal bands from Sheff between 1986 - 1996

true melthbell!

by the way, anyone who is interested in my first ever gigging band....

i've done a small website dedicated to them. the name was awful, the songs were passable, and i was as much of a nobhead back then as i am now!

well here it is....bear in mind i was only aged 13 - 15:

http://www.freewebs.com/cornflakerevolution/

any one remember the follow-up band to the fcs? we ended up with mozaz on vocals, and did only one gig, followed by a few rehearsals before we split up!

matty k was on guitar, ziggy starlust on bass and me on drums.

mozaz christened us "the all new clean f*** city s***ters", which i thought was brilliant, and he came up with fantastic lyrics.

here's a pic from outside the rehearsal room at cundy street, 1991:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/sheffieldarchives/people/allnewcleanfcs.jpg?t=1168450731

STOP PRESS

i've updated my list of all my bands ever!

IT'S NOW GOT PHOTOS AND LINKS!

you need to go to freewebs.com then forward slash and my rude name in full without aestrixkxkxkx's i.e. freewebs.com/petef . . .

:hihi:

it's me on me own here!

fans of "exit" (were there any?) who featured sheffield legends dave chaos, pete f*** and andy assle and johnny gleadless might like to see this pic i uploaded today:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/sheffieldarchives/people/EXITREDTAPEbypeterjonessautoshoot.jpg

i have also attempted to upload a track called "alien" but i have no way of checking if it's worked!

if you have an amazing thing called SOUND on your pc, please click this link anad tell me what you hear....if anything!

http://www.freewebs.com/sheffieldexit/freetrack.htm

:thumbsup:

also my updated list of all my bands ever (see two posts up) has been spotted by richard hawley and he describes the fcs as having been legendary!

fame at last

:o

...and just added this photo of media premonition today.

they were the fore-runners of slbc, pasc and psychoterrorists, although this photo was taken 12 years after the demise of this line-up of media prem:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/sheffieldarchives/people/SLBC1.jpg

here's a bizarre addition to the board:

in the john peel biography, available now from poundland, there is a picture near page 47 of mr peel in his house.

on the top of a pile of records at the side of him is a copy of the magazine dregs....

which was started by a fellow band-member duncan dregs in liverpool, who was inspired to become a fanzine editor after buying my legendary crime pays fanzine!

First up - big hello to Pete and Stu and a bigger hello to MickC. I'm guessing there's a few other pseudonyms in this thread who sound familiar, but I haven't nailed them accurately yet.

Si from the Nearly Band here, awash with memories provoked by ploughing this thread and grateful for them on a wet wednesday afternoon with writer's block and deadlines looming. The Park Hill Flats gig I remember because certain members of each band actually ran away at one point after the sound check.

I'm going to spare you a litany of memories of gigs, though there were some epic stories - the coach trip to Wales, Newcastle, the near riots onstage and in the crowd, the.... er.... 'gig fuel'.

A few band names to throw into the mix that seem to have slipped thru the net thus far on the thread - The Enzymes, Nick Reynold's own 'The Masons', the Mink Babies, The Sweetie Boys (featuring our own Dave and Jez on band share detail), the Jellyheads, the Cunning Linguists (which was Crispin's first band, i believe).. and an oddly dull prog rock type trio called the Detail.

A few updates - Simon Gilman of the Midnight Choir is in London and now has his own sound recording business for the TV, advertising and movies. Jez, drum legend and later slightly clownish oxygen thief, was last heard of in Liverpool shacked up with a woman and her kid. My last exchange with him went thusly:

'Jez! P*ss off and come back and talk to me when you're straight'

'No - you come back and talk to me when I'm straight'.

Needless to say he didn't say that deliberately.

I've got various bits of Nearly Band stuff on CD, thanks to one-time manager, number one fan, backer and good guy Steve Cadman who posted me a compilation from New Zealand where he's now in music retail. If I ever get my steam-powered laptop back in full working order, i'd be happy to post some stuff. I'd really love to get hold of our cover of Sugar Sugar in some condition or another.

As for me - I'm no longer at Eastenders, had a recent disastrous stint on Torchwood and am now in regular work writing for The Bill (ah the years of research finally come to fruition) and developing new series for various TV networks. Shameless plug - my book 'Books of Magick - Life During Wartime' co-written with Neil Gaiman has almost certainly not quite been remaindered yet in all book stores and comic stores and I've got a new monthly title for DC Vertigo coming in the Fall (as those wily world dominators say) 'The Vinyl Underground'.

So cheers for the memories - let's keep them coming.

PS: Jarvis name-checks his Dolebusters days in this Months 'Word' magazine and if Mick's listening in, I'm hoping he was there in the Broadfield when a bunch of were discussing meeting up at the Goodwin fountain in the year 2000 and young Jarvis, who (as was frequent then) was on his own, butted in to ask if he could come too.