Davy united drawing office, 60's and 70's

I had a friend, indeed a good friend, who worked at Davy United when they had offices at Suffolk house, same sort of period. Unfortunately Alan died because of stomach cancer leaving a wife Ann and two daughters. Not only as loss to his family but to me also, we were both mad as hatters and when i think of the ways we acted, it still makes me chuckle.

I had a friend, indeed a good friend, who worked at Davy United when they had offices at Suffolk house, same sort of period. Unfortunately Alan died because of stomach cancer leaving a wife Ann and two daughters. Not only as loss to his family but to me also, we were both mad as hatters and when i think of the ways we acted, it still makes me chuckle.

I indeed worked at Suffolk House and can remember Alan, he was a brilliant artist, his surname escapes me at the moment. We had some good times in those days. i can remember him dying, unfortuneately. I used to see Joe Cocker going to work most mornings.

I indeed worked at Suffolk House and can remember Alan, he was a brilliant artist, his surname escapes me at the moment. We had some good times in those days. i can remember him dying, unfortuneately. I used to see Joe Cocker going to work most mornings.

His name was Alan Cox.

What year did you start in the drawing office?

I started in a branch of the EDO in October 1957, but the main drawing office was still at Park Iron Works (PIW) at the time. The new office building fronting onto Prince of Wales Road was still under construction so our Section (No Squads then) and one other, worked in a new extension to the Works Canteen. In fact it was called the "Canteen Drawing Office". (We took a lot of stick for that name).

These two section were the first to moved into the new building in mid December 1957. The rest of the EDO moved to Darnall a few days before the Christmas holiday. The last of the office staff moved up to Darnall in the spring of 1958.

That just left the fab shop at PIW and they moved into the renovated foundry building at Darnall over the 1958 works holidays. That was the end of Davy's at PIW after 115 years!!!

Regards

Archived