MRSA and its spread in hospitals

PopT

I've recently been for surgery and I was a little worried about all the newspaper reports on the spread of the MRSA bug killing and maiming patients.

Fortunately everything went OK and I am very pleased with the treatment I received although a little wary whenever anyone approached me after surgery.

I haven't been in hospital for years and I couldn't help but notice the lack of hygenic practices that are taking place today.

You are attended by doctors in their everyday clothes- no clean white jackets anymore.

Some of the nurses go home in their uniforms.

Surgeons visit the bedside straight from the operating theatre.

Visitors come and go at all times, sitting on beds.

The one thing that I did notice was the cleaning staff did a good job cleaning the ward and the facilities but sadly their uniforms looked cleaner than the doctor's casual jeans etc.

I couldn't help but think that there is no wonder that bugs are being transmitted from person to person.

I'd like to read of other people's experiences and what they thinkabout modern hospital practice.

Guest karenjane39

I went into the Hallamshire last October for surgery to my neck. As I have a young child my hubby and baby were allowed to stay with me in a family unit room.

It was filthy.

The table that goes across your bed had sticky ring marks on it and the last patient's id band was still on the floor!!! The floor itself was really filthy. It was carpet and hadn't been hoovered for ages.

Being worried about MRSA I'd taken loads of antiseptic wipes in and gave the room and it's en suite bathroom a massive clean before I went down to theatre!!

My Mum worked at the Royal as a domestic in the late 60s to the early 70s & you never saw rubbish piled up,the floors were clean & so were the wards.Privatisation has caused this,the cleaners do not give a toss, if they did all hospitals would be clean.

Hi Sarah I hope your partner get's well soon,like I said it is worrying enough going into hospital having had a few op's myself without the worry of catching some bug,I have always said it does not cost a lot to keep the wards & theatres clean so why are we getting all these bugs.In yesterdays Daily Mirror it said Doctors are considering stopping wearing the traditional white coats,why if they are clean & steralised like they used to be no problem.Today it's a case of can't be bothered to change my blood spattered white coat,as soon as anything goes on a nurses uniform or doctors coat's they should be replaced asap.

My son will be going into Barnsley hospital for a op on his back,he is not worried about the op but the cleanliness of the hospital,it is crazy that's all people worried about when going in hospital the op but know it's a different ball game.All The Best.

My grandma went for surgery at the northen on her stomach in the late 70's and ended up cathing this awfull bug during her operation, she did not pull through. my mother seems to think that had she not caught the bug she would have lived much longer.

• 1 year later...
My Mum worked at the Royal as a domestic in the late 60s to the early 70s & you never saw rubbish piled up,the floors were clean & so were the wards.Privatisation has caused this,the cleaners do not give a toss, if they did all hospitals would be clean.

There were also cockroaches, crickets and mice running around the wards at night in the late 70's ! - something never seen today.

Standards don't seem to be the same. I started nursing nearly thirty years ago, and it was all:-

"no uniforms outside the ward"

"hair off the collar"

"no jewellery"

"no make-up, and definitely no nail polish or false nails."

beds were washed down frequently, we used draw-sheets when making a bed(which don't seem to be used these days)

Matron ruled the roost. If you didn't meet up to her exacting standards, woe-betide you!

There were also cockroaches, crickets and mice running around the wards at night in the late 70's ! - something never seen today.

Having spent a lot of my younger day's in hospital King Edwards for 1 year I never saw anything like cockroaches, crickets or mice.but it would have been nice to have a few pet's to pass the time.LOL

Archived