Yewlands school past

Guest Dave Ellis

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The mural in the foyer at yew lane school was painted by Barbra Hepworth the partner of Henry Moore – if it’s still there it must be worth a fortune – I was at yew lane when Barbra painted it (1960) and I would speak to her at the end of the day when the school was empty and she would explain what she had done that day and explain the technique she was using and also the meaning being expressed in the picture.

A privileged experience - must be the reason I have lots of artist as friends.

I was there 1980 to 82 Mrs Neale was my tutor. Miss Brown,(German Teacher)was my fantasy yum!yum! My sister Adele was in the same year as me.My brother Julian was a year above and my other sister Mandy was a year above Julian.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember Mr Morton (the milky bar kid) who taught Design Technology in the early 80s. Top teacher who knew his stuff and took an interest in his students. I remember going on various camping trips to Snowdonia, The Lakes and wait for it......

Hagg Farm in the Peak District with him and a Biology teacher who's name was ????.

He did however own a Citroen 2CV which I will never forget following a lift he gave us to Hagg Farm with the roof folded back. I was part of the intake who came from Grenoside in 1976 for the first time and had a great time on the whole.

What about Mrs Gunn and the Cherry Buns???

Mrs Cockshut who was my first tutor in group 1.3.

Post a reply if this brings it all back

Cheers

Chris Mann

Does anyone remember Mr Morton (the milky bar kid) who taught Design Technology in the early 80s. Top teacher who knew his stuff and took an interest in his students. I remember going on various camping trips to Snowdonia, The Lakes and wait for it......

Hagg Farm in the Peak District with him and a Biology teacher who's name was ????.

He did however own a Citroen 2CV which I will never forget following a lift he gave us to Hagg Farm with the roof folded back. I was part of the intake who came from Grenoside in 1976 for the first time and had a great time on the whole.

Cheers

Chris Mann

Cheers

Chris Mann

Mr alderson was the biology teacher your talking about, a sort of gordie Mike Harding lookalike.

• 2 weeks later...
I was there 1980 to 82 Mrs Neale was my tutor. Miss Brown,(German Teacher)was my fantasy yum!yum! My sister Adele was in the same year as me.My brother Julian was a year above and my other sister Mandy was a year above Julian.

I was in the same form as your sister Adele, she knocked about with Dawn Oliver and Toni Ellis, how is everybody?

• 1 month later...