Yewlands school past

Guest Dave Ellis

Hi I just came across this forum and the memories came flooding back, I remeber the trip to France brought a smile to my face. Well I suppose some of you will have heard some stories about me over the years some lets just say ive lead a colour full and varied life since my days at Yewlands to say the least :-) any correspondence would be interesting.
Are you Barry Pollard who used to live on Foxhill Road?

• 1 month later...

hi every one

i went to yewlands between 80/85, i was in miss both group

i remember a lot of that old school...

miss both married mr pearson the chemistry teacher

mr fuller is living down south and hes!! the one the working for the funural directors hes not aloud back in sheffield.

mr topham was still alive and ticking up to 5 years ago when i last saw him and living in echo.

miss coy just retired this year. i saw her for the first time in 25 years when the new yewlands open fk me she doesnt change hehehe

miss whittiker is married now called mrs fox and living in the south of sheffield i delived to her house hahaha she even made me a cuppa bless her

i remember the fights that we had with colley school hahaha they were the days

o and remember old man blowers smoking in the room at the back of his room he sadly past away not long after i left ... im not surprised

i remember a lad nicknamed lemon head hahahha he never got undressed for the showers ewwwwwww

mr ward was the music teacher and i surpose the it teacher at the time

mr cooper,man with the bell bottoms and the silly top he wore

o i remember the tr7 a teacher had she took the remeadel class and miss whittiker had an old fiat x19

mr davison was the head master ... a useless one at that .

the history teacher worked for radio hallam at one point but i cant remeber his name

o well if i remember any thing else i,ll let u know

Edited by nuttaaaa

hi every one

i went to yewlands between 80/85, i was in miss both group

i remember a lot of that old school...

miss both married mr pearson the chemistry teacher

mr fuller is living down south and hes!! the one the working for the funural directors hes not aloud back in sheffield.

mr topham was still alive and ticking up to 5 years ago when i last saw him and living in echo.

miss coy just retired this year. i saw her for the first time in 25 years when the new yewlands open fk me she doesnt change hehehe

miss whittiker is married now called mrs fox and living in the south of sheffield i delived to her house hahaha she even made me a cuppa bless her

i remember the fights that we had with colley school hahaha they were the days

o and remember old man blowers smoking in the room at the back of his room he sadly past away not long after i left ... im not surprised

i remember a lad nicknamed lemon head hahahha he never got undressed for the showers ewwwwwww

mr ward was the music teacher and i surpose the it teacher at the time

mr cooper,man with the bell bottoms and the silly top he wore

o i remember the tr7 a teacher had she took the remeadel class and miss whittiker had an old fiat x19

mr davison was the head master ... a useless one at that .

the history teacher worked for radio hallam at one point but i cant remeber his name

o well if i remember any thing else i,ll let u know

ps my name is garry kewish u may remember me or my sisters karen and julie

Why isn't Mr Fuller allowed back in Sheffield?

• 2 weeks later...

One or two of you have mentioned the mural here. I'd like to know more about the mural which was painted by Barbara Mildred Jones - an artist who also designed The Woddentops BBC series sets. I'd like to know more about her intentions in putting the image together for the school - what she saw was being communicated in the imagery. I'd also like to find out who decided to cover it over and when that happened.

Cathy

the mural was fire damaged after the fire in the old libary in the early 1990,s it would have cost the school too much to get it restored so they boxed it in behind a paster board wall untill the new school was biult . im corrently trying to find out if the mural was saved or destroyed this is as much as i know

if i find out any thing i,ll let you know

• 3 weeks later...
One or two of you have mentioned the mural here. I'd like to know more about the mural which was painted by Barbara Mildred Jones - an artist who also designed The Woddentops BBC series sets. I'd like to know more about her intentions in putting the image together for the school - what she saw was being communicated in the imagery. I'd also like to find out who decided to cover it over and when that happened.

Cathy

has I said earlier, I spoke with Barbara, and yes I got the name wrong, it is Jones not Hepwoth.

At the time she told me she was a friend of Mr Clayton (Headmaster) and that they had studied together or know each other from University. The murel was of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Barbara's take on this was something like this:- we the pupils were at the start of our lives, just as the mural depicted the beginning of life. Barbara attempted to explain about the paint she was using and how it was made, she also explained about brush strokes and colour. I also remember she had a miniture painting of the whole mural which she did before coming into the school and was working from this minuture, explaining that this is the way murals are done.

Hope this helps Cathy