The Workhouse (Hospital ?)

CHAIRBOY

Hi Redbox - you have awakened a few memories there! I was a student nurse in the 1960s, when Fir Vale Infirmary was combined with the City General Hospital to form the Northern General Hospital (in 1967). I well remember Matron Scott of Fir Vale, whose "domain" ended when Matron Jobling took charge of the nursing staff of the combined hospital. Some of the basic good sense, and the disciplined, care-oriented approach of these two matrons could I feel be put to good use in the modern, box-ticking culture of the NHS. The Northern General is much bigger now, and I am sure it is still a very good hospital, but something has been lost. I always get lost when I try to find my way around it!.:P

• 1 month later...

Can anyone please advise me if I can find records relating to Sheffield Workhouse, online? I have census records from 1881 with details of the people I am researching for a relative in America, but wondered if I could ever find exact records of when they were admitted, and their circumstances. Also the workhouse address is given as "Sheffield Union Workhouse, Pitsmoor".Was this the one at Rock Street, or the site where the Northern General Hosp now stands?

Thank you for any help.

Can anyone please advise me if I can find records relating to Sheffield Workhouse, online? I have census records from 1881 with details of the people I am researching for a relative in America, but wondered if I could ever find exact records of when they were admitted, and their circumstances. Also the workhouse address is given as "Sheffield Union Workhouse, Pitsmoor".Was this the one at Rock Street, or the site where the Northern General Hosp now stands?

Thank you for any help.

There are some records online here,

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/workhouses-and-poor-law-unions.html

Downloads at the bottom of the page.

If you enter the Northern General through the Clock Tower entrance, to the left of the reception through a door there are original plans and some memorabilia from the workhouse times including a cleaners (or scrubbers as they were known) wage log book. Well worth a look

Enjoy !

There are some records online here,

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/workhouses-and-poor-law-unions.html

Downloads at the bottom of the page.

Thank you.

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 21:17 ----------

If you enter the Northern General through the Clock Tower entrance, to the left of the reception through a door there are original plans and some memorabilia from the workhouse times including a cleaners (or scrubbers as they were known) wage log book. Well worth a look

Enjoy !

Thank you. The people I am researching were 4 orphaned children so I don't know whether that information would refer to them, but I will look into it, thank you.

A few year ago I was told by a very old copper, the the workhouse at Firvale was known as the "Spike"

Firvale, or parts of, was used as a sort of geriatric hospital cum nursing home, well into the 60's, if you suffered from dementia or were unable to live independently this where you were sent. I attended Owler Lane Intermediate School and caught the tram home from Firvale. Thursdays was visiting day and there were huge queues, extra trams were laid-on for the occasion.

Thank you for any help.

There are a group of people who look after many historical ledgers and photographs relating to the workhouse at Firvale. The name of the woman who I spoke to evades me but you may be able to contact her through the NGH switchboard 01142434343. Unfortunately much of the documents were burned in the 1960's - a crying shame imo.

Failing that, try the Sheffield Archives - they may be able to help you.

Regards.

There are a group of people who look after many historical ledgers and photographs relating to the workhouse at Firvale. The name of the woman who I spoke to evades me but you may be able to contact her through the NGH switchboard 01142434343. Unfortunately much of the documents were burned in the 1960's - a crying shame imo.

Failing that, try the Sheffield Archives - they may be able to help you.

Regards.

Thank you DAVEN, very helpful information.

As a child in the late 40's/early 50's I seem to recall men queueing to get into what I think was the workhouse at a door set into the wall on the right going up Barnsley Rd about 50 yards or so up from Fir Vale. I haven't lived in Sheffield since 1976 so don't know if its still there.

Archived