Solar panels or wind turbines on house anyone?

The trouble is that you haven't read either this thread or the article. Go to the bottom of the class. ;)

Hmm. And you had? Between looking at the other posts on this forum? In five minutes?

But wait!

grafikhaus74 does make a good point though. Renewables is about to become the next water filter / double glazing / used car business for folk of lower morals. That, combined with a lack of understanding by the general public is a recipe for some trouble ahead.

Apology accepted! :)

No, it won't become 'the next water filter...' etc. Just wait till the 'digital aerial' people get going....

I saw the article when it was first written. In fact I mentioned it in a recent meeting about a renewables installation because we are seeing the industry attracting commission driven salespeople rather than professionals, engineers and experts. :)

Hmm. And you had? Between looking at the other posts on this forum? In five minutes?

But wait!

Apology accepted! :)

No, it won't become 'the next water filter...' etc. Just wait till the 'digital aerial' people get going....

I managed to read enough of the article to see that it was about Solar Water Heating and not Solar PV, since you were the one posting the link I guess that means that you didn't bother to read the thread first?

@ OP

I've had solar hot water panels on the roof for a few years now. They cost £2000 and we save £180 per year. At the time they gave a greater return for the money than solar PV per pound spent, and of course more affordable outright. Whether that is still the case I have no idea. We have been very pleased with the results, even with the last 3 poor summers, and work on bright days in the winter too. At present our payback will be about 12 years, less as fuel prices rise. Please above all do not trust Daily Mail's sensationalist journalism!

I don't think wind power is suitable for the small domestic setting. I have no experience of solar PV (and your post, I don't think, specifies the type of solar panel you are enquiring about). I do know folks with PV and they are also quite happy with the rates of return. Definately give the shadegreener site a go though, its free and refusal cost me nothing :)

The thing with the Ashadegreener offer is that any profit made from the panels goes to them, that's their entire business model.

If they do say that you qualify, it probably means that you're in a good location and it might be worth considering paying for a system to be fitted.

If they turn you down then it could be a sign that you shouldn't bother as you won't generate much from the feed-in-tariff.

For the moment I'm not investing in either system as I've a plan to move house within 2 years. The next house though I'll definitely want to go down this route. I wonder if having these things built in from the start gives any improvement over adding them to an existing house, anyone know?

• 1 month later...
The thing with the Ashadegreener offer is that any profit made from the panels goes to them, that's their entire business model.

They get a payment from the gov. F.i.T. (Feed in Tariff) they get a fixed amount for every kilowatt of power generated by the panels...you get first dibs on all the leccy they produce...for free...any extra goes into the grid...if they will fit the panels for free then why would you want to pay for your own?

They get a payment from the gov. F.i.T. (Feed in Tariff) they get a fixed amount for every kilowatt of power generated by the panels...you get first dibs on all the leccy they produce...for free...any extra goes into the grid...if they will fit the panels for free then why would you want to pay for your own?

Because their business plan obviously indicates that they will make a profit from the FIT after some time (probably less than a decade I'd think).

If you pay for the installation yourself and keep the FIT payments then you'll make that profit instead of them.

Archived