Solar panels or wind turbines on house anyone?

we are way behind other countries in-terms of renewable energy, but the uk solar pv market has still grown 400% this year alone, if we are to meet the carbon reduction targets set in coppenhagen by 2020 we need to be installing 10,000 solar pv jobs a week, the feed in-tariff is a huge incentive for people to help towards this

Who pays for the feed-in tariff?

Is it free money? - Or does the government pay and pass the cost on to the taxpayer?

I live in a country which generates 17% of its electricity from renewable sources. It's expensive stuff.

3485 KwH (the estimated amount I use in a year) costs a total of £805. (2-person household, energy-efficient appliances and energy efficient lighting.)

The price per KwH is 21p. There is no 'night rate'.

How does that compare (particularly the price per KwH) with what you pay in the UK?

• 2 weeks later...
How is a Shade Greener getting on these days? I heard that they'd had over 80,000 applications now but that they are snowed under?

Peter691

Still the same by all accounts. They are cherry picking the home which will generate them the bigger returns - cant fault them really.

Who pays for the feed-in tariff?

Is it free money? - Or does the government pay and pass the cost on to the taxpayer?

I live in a country which generates 17% of its electricity from renewable sources. It's expensive stuff.

3485 KwH (the estimated amount I use in a year) costs a total of £805. (2-person household, energy-efficient appliances and energy efficient lighting.)

The price per KwH is 21p. There is no 'night rate'.

How does that compare (particularly the price per KwH) with what you pay in the UK?

we pay around 14p per kwh for leccy and about 6-8p for gas if i remember.

the feed in tariff is a subsidy the companies have to pay to the govt (which in effect gets passed back to us customers anyway in raised costs elsewhere in their billing system.

the feed in tariff is set for a certain mumber of years and has been hammered already, so by all accounts the next set of tariffs wont be as lucrative i heard.

@ OP

I've had solar hot water panels on the roof for a few years now. They cost £2000 and we save £180 per year. :)

Strange isn't it but Cyprus Has had these for many years, the houses in the shot below are in a village up in the hills where we lived recently it gets quite cold in the winter.

They had these systems way back in 1966 when we were stationed in Cyprus.

£2000 a few years ago, I'd hate to see how much now

sobxiu.jpg

Archived