Fishing trips from Ladys Bridge 1960 to Lincolnshire

tony.p

I wasn't a fisherman but can confirm what you write. I think the coach firm was Jeffcocks but I can recall those Sunday mornings about 5.30am. I'd be coming back from a London away game and station approach to Victoria station would be thronged with anglers going to places such as Bardney, Tattershall, Dogdyke etc - hope I've got those right? This would be 1960+ and I guess the coaches ran as well as the trains, such was the sport's popularity then. I suspect that like the horseracing excursions, ten years on and people had their own cars to travel in.

Just thought of Saxilby - they were all places on the River Witham.

I think most coach companies used to take fishermen to the Licolnshire fishing spots during the 50's, although I wasn't a fisherman, I remember going on a coach or sharra as we called them in those days, with a mate and fishing at some place called the Little 40 foot, which was in Lincolnshire somewhere.

Most of them ran from castle gate several coach firms including Jeffcocks and SUT as already posted and you could pay the driver if all the seats were not booked and they used to leave at different times like 5-30 for Wisbech up to 7-00 for Torksey and Laneham Ferry

Most of them ran from castle gate several coach firms including Jeffcocks and SUT as already posted and you could pay the driver if all the seats were not booked and they used to leave at different times like 5-30 for Wisbech up to 7-00 for Torksey and Laneham Ferry

My great uncle (a Sheffielder) was landlord of the pub at Laneham Ferry in the 1950/60's and lots of Sheffield folk used to pile into the pub after a match before leaving for Sheffield on the charabanc usually with a crate or two "for on the way home"!

My great uncle (a Sheffielder) was landlord of the pub at Laneham Ferry in the 1950/60's and lots of Sheffield folk used to pile into the pub after a match before leaving for Sheffield on the charabanc usually with a crate or two "for on the way home"!

DUFFEMS;5531742we also enjoyed a crate or two on the way home,after a session in the pub and I remember falling asleep to the sounds of the Black and White Minstrel Show on the bus radio when we didn't miss the bus!!:roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Spent many a Sunday on these trips. Who remembers having to give up their seat so that some grown up could have it then have to spend 2 hours sat on a basket in the aisle? Used to stop in Sleaford for a bacon butty.

Happy days.

Was in a pub in Spilsby last year and bumped into a dozen or so anglers from Sheffield. They may well have been on a coach trip. Don't know what the river is round there - wife will, she comes from near there.

Archived