Fishing trips from Ladys Bridge 1960 to Lincolnshire

tony.p

Did any of you fish in the Sibsey Trader next to Fixter's Bridge Farm Caravan site?

Not as many fishing the Trader now as was in the 60/70s. The Coach Stop sign is still there for the SUT coach outside Fixters. Some fishing stagings were also built a few years ago. The section from the road bridge to the old iron foot bridge (now wood) is not supposed to be fished at all now, yet some guys were live baiting in this section this week

From memory i think one of the SUT coaches called at Tattershall Bridge, Chapel Hill, Hubberts Bridge, Malcolm Arms, Cowbridge, and then on to the Trader

I wasn't a fisherman but can confirm what you write. I think the coach firm was Jeffcocks ... going to places such as Bardney, Tattershall, Dogdyke etc - hope I've got those right?...

My goodness, CHAIRBOY, that brings back memories. Bardney, Tattershall and Dogdyke on the Witham, and Saxilby on the Fossdyke Navigation - all good fishing spots. Jeffcocks were noted for their fishing trips, and they served all the favourite waters in Lincolnshire. Law Brothers also ran an "Ely Express" service every Saturday with their smart green-and-white coaches that went to Ely via Swineshead/Hubberts Bridge, Forty Foot, Wisbech etc.

Not as many fishing the Trader now as was in the 60/70s. The Coach Stop sign is still there for the SUT coach outside Fixters. Some fishing stagings were also built a few years ago. The section from the road bridge to the old iron foot bridge (now wood) is not supposed to be fished at all now, yet some guys were live baiting in this section this week

From memory i think one of the SUT coaches called at Tattershall Bridge, Chapel Hill, Hubberts Bridge, Malcolm Arms, Cowbridge, and then on to the Trader

Hey, just noticed your user name - are you from Boston or do you just like it there?

I quite like Boston - used to love the open air swimming pool when we were kids, always used to go there when we were down in Sibsey.

Have you seen the man made lake they have built onto the back of Bridge Farm Caravan site? I went to have a look at it when I was down in August, I'm not a fisher person but I could see it was well stocked, plenty of fish coming up to the surface and one of the guys fishing, confirmed it is well stocked.

Me and my Dad used to go regularly on those trips from Castlegate in the late 50's and early 60's. First with Jeffcock's and then I believe they were taken over by Sheffield United Tours - nothing to do with the blunts I believe.

We used to get our tickets from an office down some steps in a building on Waingate, later on they had an SUT office down in Pond St. bus station.

We used to fish the Trent usually at Dunham Bridge.

Archived