Smith Sayles insurance, on the Wicker.

maxofe

we are just about to move house and i have been going thro' some old family papers. smith sayles was my families business and i wondered if any of you had any memories of the place?

i am the proud owner of the large clock which used to sit in the window, which, i'm told, people used to set their watch by on their way to work.

anybody on here who used to work there perhaps?

it's a memory lane day :)

I remember that I used to insure my Ford Cortina there, so you can guess it was a while ago. The office was in the Wicker near to the old Studio 7. They were very polular because, they were good value, cheapest in town. Unfortunately, the main Insurance co., they used ( they were brokers) went bust and everyones insurance was invalidated. This would be late 60's, I think. I don't know if Smith Sayles carried on after that.

I'm sure someone will be along with more details.

I remember that I used to insure my Ford Cortina there, so you can guess it was a while ago. The office was in the Wicker near to the old Studio 7. They were very polular because, they were good value, cheapest in town. Unfortunately, the main Insurance co., they used ( they were brokers) went bust and everyones insurance was invalidated. This would be late 60's, I think. I don't know if Smith Sayles carried on after that.

I'm sure someone will be along with more details.

omg! thats one story i have never heard!! they must have weathered it, im not sure what year my grandfather retired and whether he was still in charge then.

my uncle and my father sold the business in the 1980's (i think), my uncle retired and my father went on to run his other business, just military on abbeydale road.

the chap who took over carried on for a while longer, i cant remember the name he traded the brokers under, but up until the day he closed it was still in the phone book as smith sayles!

I use to insure with Smith Sayles until they stopped trading, from approximately mid 1950s, their office was roughly opposite the chemist shop in the Wicker. I am not sure about this but I seem to remember that when they stopped trading all their customers were transfered to a insurance broker/agents that was in the same block of buildings as Halfords and if I remember correctly a toy shop in Fitzalan Square

we are just about to move house and i have been going thro' some old family papers. smith sayles was my families business and i wondered if any of you had any memories of the place?

i am the proud owner of the large clock which used to sit in the window, which, i'm told, people used to set their watch by on their way to work.

any rel of a mrs sayles lived on hucklow road firth park she ran insurance

from home

i insured my first mo-ped with them in 1979 they were in the wicker,my dad used them for many many years before me..my insurance was 16 quid for the year..3rd party fire n theft

any rel of a mrs sayles lived on hucklow road firth park she ran insurance

from home

must be! i know the family home (grandma sayles) was on hucklow road, perhaps my great grandma......just off to see if i can dig out the family tree....

Hello,

I grew up in the Wicker, remember the name: Smith Sayles but can't place where the office was.

My only guess would be in the block that started at Willis Street with Friedrich Pork butchers, then Scotts ladies and men's hairdressers (There is a Scott's still in the Wicker but closer to town). Next to the orginal Scotts was a stationers? and then Smith Sayles. Is this about right?

I left the area in 1960 so its all a long time ago.

Regards

thanks Falls....

im a bit sketchy myself:loopy:

i thought the pub was on the corner, but honestly cannot remember, certainly scotts was either next door or next but one.

i can remember smith sayles being painted a bright red/orange colour!

i think its a chicken shop now, lol.

thanks Falls....

im a bit sketchy myself:loopy:

i thought the pub was on the corner, but honestly cannot remember, certainly scotts was either next door or next but one.

i can remember smith sayles being painted a bright red/orange colour!

i think its a chicken shop now, lol.

i thought it was further down near the archers

Archived