Click on the zoom button to enlarge

A direct link would not work

You will see a clearer photo doing the following

Click on the link below

http://www.picturesheffield.com/database_search.php

Type "Brown Fox Wicker" in the bottom search box and click on the search button

Click on the Smith Sayles photo

Click on the zoom button to enlarge

many many thanks, there was no brown fox, so i chose cow :)

Smith Sayles ,God theres a name I`d fogotten

All my mates went there in the mid 70`s as they never failed to find you some sort of policy

I insured my first car in 74 a 64 Mk 1 Cortina 1500 super for £63.00 third party fire and theft and traded with them till they shut basically

Yes I remember Smith Sayles. I got my first mototcycle insured there. I am sure it was next to the Brown Cow. The shop front was a maroon colour. I still have my insurance doc's which look so much more a document than a printout.

If i remember, there was a small step down as you walked in the front door and a man with glasses and a jaw beard served you.

Great stuff.

Yes I remember Smith Sayles. I got my first mototcycle insured there. I am sure it was next to the Brown Cow. The shop front was a maroon colour. I still have my insurance doc's which look so much more a document than a printout.

If i remember, there was a small step down as you walked in the front door and a man with glasses and a jaw beard served you.

Great stuff.

yep that was my dad :) he didnt have a beard tho, he was quite badly scarred on his face, a lot of people remember a "beard"

Yes, I was not too sure on your fathers scarred face. was going to write that was not too sure.

He wore a tweedy sports jacket if i remember right. I can still see him now. That would be 1966. i was 16 at the time. and was scared he would ask me questions i would not have known the answers.

Great going back.

I remember that I used to insure my Ford Cortina there, so you can guess it was a while ago. The office was in the Wicker near to the old Studio 7. They were very polular because, they were good value, cheapest in town. Unfortunately, the main Insurance co., they used ( they were brokers) went bust and everyones insurance was invalidated. This would be late 60's, I think. I don't know if Smith Sayles carried on after that.

I'm sure someone will be along with more details.

No that was South Yorkshire Insurance that was run by the Clegg family, it was very close to Smith Sayles office.

Archived