Smith Sayles insurance, on the Wicker.

maxofe

Yes, I was not too sure on your fathers scarred face. was going to write that was not too sure.

He wore a tweedy sports jacket if i remember right. I can still see him now. That would be 1966. i was 16 at the time. and was scared he would ask me questions i would not have known the answers.

Great going back.

yep the tweed sorts jacket was all him :) same in his 20's as he was in his 60's!

Was it your dad who collected guns? If so I knew him, I hope the 'was' doesn't mean what I think it does.

yes that was him, talented gunsmith..... he had military and oriental on abbeydale rd, then later, just military also on abbeydale rd.

sorry to say "was" does mean was. 2 years ago :(

• 3 years later...

just thought i would repost here as im still looking for a better picture of the old shop-front, or even a few pics of the offices!

so if theres any old members of staff out there, or photographers who have pictures of t'wicker that may include Smiths Sayles, please get in touch,

thanks,

max.

any rel of a mrs sayles lived on hucklow road firth park she ran insurance

from home

HI awoollen,I used to know a sayles family from firth park,they lived on horninglow rd there were two brothers and a sister lived with their mum,i was a pal of peter sayles, any relation?

yep that was my dad :) he didnt have a beard tho, he was quite badly scarred on his face, a lot of people remember a "beard"

Hi maxofe I remember your father well I always used Smith-Sayles for my car insurance from the 60s until they closed.I always thought the scars looked like he had been badly burned in an accident,he always wore the tweed clothes,a very nice bloke as I recall.They always got you the best rates in Sheffield and were very popular!.

I remember Smith Sayles in the Wicker. Insured my first car (Mini) there early 70's I remember it was £27 for year, he let me pay in three installments of £9 each. I cant remember if it was Third party of fully comp. I was very happy with the service. It's all Meercats now..

Hi maxofe I remember your father well I always used Smith-Sayles for my car insurance from the 60s until they closed.I always thought the scars looked like he had been badly burned in an accident,he always wore the tweed clothes,a very nice bloke as I recall.They always got you the best rates in Sheffield and were very popular!.

Thanks for the kind words Mr? Tup, as far as i was told, he fell into the coal fire at about 4 or 5 years old, he used to tell me horror stories about having to be treated in RAF type hospitals, full of WW2 soldiers, who had been badly burnt :(..........he never let him hold himself back though!!

---------- Post added 02-03-2013 at 22:46 ----------

No rip off s there,i got my first bike insured there in 1958 and renewed it every year,you didnt have to ring round everywhere then like now to insure with the cheapest crooks.

back in the day when a broker was a broker!

• 2 weeks later...
we are just about to move house and i have been going thro' some old family papers. smith sayles was my families business and i wondered if any of you had any memories of the place?

i am the proud owner of the large clock which used to sit in the window, which, i'm told, people used to set their watch by on their way to work.

anybody on here who used to work there perhaps?

it's a memory lane day :)

yes I insured with them in the fifties...Think it was a Father and Son who ran it then...Did they live at Norton ..maybe the son went to De La Salle...All a bit vague now....

Archived