Hurlfield/Grange grammar school for girls

jappi

Does anyone remember Wendy Hall from circa 1953 to say 1958. She was from Edale Road, Ecclesall. If I remember rightly, her dad became landlord of the Miners Arms at Eyam in the mid 1950's. Also was Beryl Ainscow at Grange during the same era.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Grange from 1962 to 1969. I remember many of the teachers already mentioned, but also Miss Truswell in History, Mrs Lee in Science and Miss Fife, Geography. Also remember the first male member of staff, Mr Eden in Science. Meeting under the yew tree, trying to wash mud off after hockey in just the sinks in Holt House, 6th form common room and those wretched berets! We met together as whole school every day for just 20 minutes assembly - this was called "Prayers", the assembly.

On my last day there, walking down the drive I took great delight in taking off my 'wretched beret' and throwing it back up the drive.

As I remember her, Miss Fife had short red hair and was quite heavily made up.

Edited by Minimo

• 3 months later...
I have fond memories of the Grange although when I attended it was Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls I was there between about 1949 and left in 1954.

I was there during those hears - Miss Reid was headmistress at that time. Does anyone remember Elsie Ford, Thelma Riley, Joyce Smith, Mary Walker and other in our form. i was in Form G (which meant we took German as a subject). I remember Miss Rogers our music teacher and the speech days at the Victoria Hall and swimming afternoons at King Edwards.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 11:09 ----------

I have fond memories of the Grange although when I attended it was Hurlfield Grammar School for Girls I was there between about 1949 and left in 1954.

I was there at that time too. I was in the G form (we took German as a subject hence the G). Do you remember Wendy Scott, Elsie Ford, Barbara Stokes, Mary Walker, Joyce Smith, Thelma Riley etc. Would love to hear from anyone who was in my year.

Hi - It would be good to contact any school friends who were at Hurlfield Grammar School from 1949-54. I was in the G Form. Miss Reid was headmistress at that time and Miss Rogers taught music. I now live in Wiltshire.

Hi - It would be good to contact any school friends who were at Hurlfield Grammar School from 1949-54. I was in the G Form. Miss Reid was headmistress at that time and Miss Rogers taught music. I now live in Wiltshire.

-------------------------------------------

Hi Wendy, slightly different era for me. You might also post on friendsreunited.com there is a page for grange grammar, see if

there is one for Hurlfield, I don't know if there is or not.

Susan.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 21:23 ----------

-------------------------------------------

Hi Wendy, slightly different era for me. You might also post on friendsreunited.com there is a page for grange grammar, see if

there is one for Hurlfield, I don't know if there is or not.

PS an old family friend called Marilyn Middleton went to Hurlfield,

I inherited some of her old uniform, huge shorts like bloomers,

an old science lab coat & something else. All my friends used to

laugh at me.

Susan.

The merger of all 3 schools took place in September 1969. Those boys at ABGS who were just starting their O level courses (4th formers in old money) were kept in the lower school for 2 years.

Did the girls of Grange and Girls Grammar merge in 1969 or did they stay in their respective school buildings until starting A levels in September 1971?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow just

Discovered this web site after being told about it by Helen Acroyd. We were at Grange from 1959 to 1966 ab

Nod had been wondering what the name of the new botany teacher was , she joined in1964 and got married soon after. She was great friends with Mrs Henderson the biology teacher. So great to read of all the names of the old brigade miss Longmuir, Mrs Francis ,Mrs Perry miss Williams(I think my mum kept the copy of the speech day recording I will go through her things.

Helen and I were I the hockey team with Jean wilkinson,Brenda Knowles Elizabeth Barrett Hazel ....

I my class there was Margaret Humpheries , Jean Musgrove how the memories of those great days are jogged, Sstephanie Ashe and .'?pauline McBride were the clever girls in our year

Happy days

I was at Grange Grammar about 1961 -3 and was in alpha (a) Probably meant we were of lowest intelligence. I would have loved to be in (g) classes as languages was always my strongest subject. I used to love french with, I think, Miss Vernon.

Does anyone recall what others there were besides a and g?

---------- Post added 22-08-2015 at 18:54 ----------

I have a photo of Miss Vernon's class 1958 intake at Grange, but I wouldn't know how to put it on here.

I am instantly recognisable as the only one not in uniform (because we moved away 6 weeks later)

Edited by Minimo