Hurlfield/Grange grammar school for girls

jappi

I was watching the last night of the Proms when they always sing jerusalem. It made me think about our speech days and prize giving, which were held at the Victoria Hall on Norfolk Street. I always remember Miss Rogers our music teacher being so strong on our diction and trying to get us to put great emphasis on "BRI---IIING me my bow of Burning Gold. Were you there too?

Incidently I have just come back from a few days in Sheffield. I can't say I like it anymore. Abbeydale and woodseats seem very scruffy to me, and the town centre is nothing special, the bits I saw

i was there from 1953 to 1960 so had 2 years of being hurlfield then grange.

how lucky i was to come from darkest pismoor to the splendour of those beautiful buildings. any pictures of them anywhere?

• 3 months later...

I went to Grange Grammar from 1963 to 1969. From 1970 it became Abbeydale Grange comprehensive. I remember Miss Williams (music), Miss Ruff (English), Miss Ward (English), Miss Longmuir (French), Mrs Perry (geography) and Miss Glister (games).

• 4 months later...

My childhood sweetheart, Margaret Scott, was at Grange. She would have been about 16/17 in 1970, and I used to meet her in the woods between Grange and ABGS (my school) at lunchtime. I remember the PE teached from ABGS, Vince Cooper, encountering us as he was patrolling the woods, which were out of bounds. We were sitting on a log, probably holding hands - I expected an immediate telling off, but all he said was, "Very nice" and he walked on! I've always been grateful to him for that and have even forgiven him for (unjustly) slippering me on another occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone still have the LP recorded one Speech Day? Not sure of the year but it was around 1966. I have very fond memories of Speech Day performances at the City Hall under the baton of Miss Williams. Every year group sang a different song, all coming together at the end in one huge sound. Does my memory deceive me?

• 3 months later...

I was in class 4Alpha 1958-62. Remember Pat Rymell, Linda Beecroft, Glenys Bell, Barbara Rippon, Jennifer Holland ,Jaqueline Perkins and many more. Onr of our teachers Miss Truswell ( History) really got some harsh treatment from us. She must only have been about 30 . Anyone remember a beautiful girl in our class who sadly died in about 1963. Her name was Elizabeth Malloy. I remember Mrs Roberts our form teacher coming in during our music class to tell us. Everyone was stunned and we were allowed out to walk around the grounds. I still think of her and can still see her face after all these years.

Hi Normie

I recognise several of those names. I have the class photo taken in the first few months after starting at GG in 1958. I am struggling to remember the teacher's name, I do recall she was very nice. Could it have been Mrs Morgan?

I am instantly recognisable because I am the only one not in uniform, as the family was moving to Bakewell. We came back to Sheffield in 1962 and I returned to GG, this time in uniform.

Edited to add the teacher might have been Mrs Vernon?

Edited by Minimo

Hi there,

I think Mrs. Vernon was our form teacher in 4 alpha (needlecraft) for a while . She was dark haired and quietly spoken, although it could have been Mrs. Roberts ( Blonde, big breasted). I really don't remember a Mrs. Morgan.

There was another sports teacher Miss Holt, do you remember, she actually left the school to live with Miss Thompson ( science) and I think they went to live in Beverley/Hull area. Blimey the things that come back.

---------- Post added 31-01-2013 at 16:43 ----------

Remembering the winters when we would make such deadly slides until they were sheer ice,and almost vertical it seems. Down though the trees towards the tennis courts. We daren't not do it in case we were called names!!