Hurlfield/Grange grammar school for girls

jappi

Does anyone remember Janet Bollington? She would have been at Grange school 1960-65.

Yes I remember Janet,She was an old flame of mine,I'd love to meet up with her again, broke my heart when she found someone else.

Last I heard she was living up Ecclesall somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I attended Grange Grammar School for Girls 1964-9.

JOKEANE must have been in my year. I knew Lynne Heritage and Jackie Norris. Saw Gillian Hughes some time ago at my cousin's daughter's wedding.

Rented a room from Lynne Harrison donkey's years ago at Ecclesall.

Used to hear about Josie Bailey and Anne Johnson but not since my Dad died.

I heard Denise Harper (in my class) died quite young, don't know if that was true.

Re teachers, Glister was as close to being a man as a woman could be. I remember I was in the school hockey team and wanted to miss one match - she said I had to play or I would lose my place on the ski-ing trip - bitch! Anyone remember the RI teacher (?Miss Holden) used to be a missionary - the burning incense incident when she sent half the class outside as she couldn't find the culprit! Then there was Ruddy ell (Miss Rudell) came as probationer and stayed. Mrs Whitby, history. Miss Secker scared the living whatsit out of me, as did Mrs Vernon (needlework) as I can't sew for toffee. Mrs Perry (geography) could fell you with a look at 10 paces if you'd done something she didn't like. Then there was that awful woman who used to teach PE but when she got too decrepit changed to French - one day teaching a point of English grammar, we all bored, she said, and this is classic, "You'll never be able to speak French if you can't speak English proper". I nearly wet myself, silly old bat. Can't agree that Miss Rawlings, Head, was kind - she was very unkind to me on one important occasion but I do remember the Captain de Neumann letters. I agree with earlier post that I didn't appreciate Grange until much later and now realise it was the best school my parents could have chosen for me. I won't look at that area on Google because those two beautiful mansions are no longer there. Travesty!

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 21:17 ----------

Me again - just remembered - was anyone in the class when Miss Longmuir had trouble with her teeth?

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 21:24 ----------

Just read the post about the City Hall concerts. Miss Williams told us that if we forgot the words, to sing "jam jars and treacle tins". I remember a City Hall concert when we sang "There are fairies at the bottom of our garden". I also do remember a recording being made one year but afraid I don't have a copy.

Does anyone remember Mr Eden? or that big bloke who taught Maths - once squashed a fly with my maths book!

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 23:30 ----------

To Darryl Nugen, Yanina was in my class at Grange - we thought she was very exotic!

Hi,

This is Elaine Lingard (formerly Archer). I went to Grange from 1961-1967. I remember Miss Williams (music) and her infectious enthusiasm. She influenced my lifelong love of singing. Mrs Whitby was my favorite teacher (history) in part, I think, because she was so motherly. I remember Mrs. Roberts (PE), Mrs. Greenwood (PE), Mrs Vernon (needlework) and Miss Secker (domestic science). I never quite got used to her sarcasm! I left a year or two before the Abbeydale-Grange merge. I also remember that steep slope to the tennis courts and sliding down it on a metal tray, which was strongly forbidden because someone collided with a tree once and was badly injured. We kept on doing it anyway!

I loved the romanticism of those old houses and grounds. Its so sad to know that they are gone now. I live in California now and don't get back to Sheffield very often.

• 1 month later...
did anyone attend grange grammar school in the 60's

I was at grange from about 1963-68

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 10:42 ----------

I attended Grange Grammar School for Girls 1964-9.

JOKEANE must have been in my year. I knew Lynne Heritage and Jackie Norris. Saw Gillian Hughes some time ago at my cousin's daughter's wedding.

Rented a room from Lynne Harrison donkey's years ago at Ecclesall.

Used to hear about Josie Bailey and Anne Johnson but not since my Dad died.

I heard Denise Harper (in my class) died quite young, don't know if that was true.

Re teachers, Glister was as close to being a man as a woman could be. I remember I was in the school hockey team and wanted to miss one match - she said I had to play or I would lose my place on the ski-ing trip - bitch! Anyone remember the RI teacher (?Miss Holden) used to be a missionary - the burning incense incident when she sent half the class outside as she couldn't find the culprit! Then there was Ruddy ell (Miss Rudell) came as probationer and stayed. Mrs Whitby, history. Miss Secker scared the living whatsit out of me, as did Mrs Vernon (needlework) as I can't sew for toffee. Mrs Perry (geography) could fell you with a look at 10 paces if you'd done something she didn't like. Then there was that awful woman who used to teach PE but when she got too decrepit changed to French - one day teaching a point of English grammar, we all bored, she said, and this is classic, "You'll never be able to speak French if you can't speak English proper". I nearly wet myself, silly old bat. Can't agree that Miss Rawlings, Head, was kind - she was very unkind to me on one important occasion but I do remember the Captain de Neumann letters. I agree with earlier post that I didn't appreciate Grange until much later and now realise it was the best school my parents could have chosen for me. I won't look at that area on Google because those two beautiful mansions are no longer there. Travesty!

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 21:17 ----------

Me again - just remembered - was anyone in the class when Miss Longmuir had trouble with her teeth?

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 21:24 ----------

Just read the post about the City Hall concerts. Miss Williams told us that if we forgot the words, to sing "jam jars and treacle tins". I remember a City Hall concert when we sang "There are fairies at the bottom of our garden". I also do remember a recording being made one year but afraid I don't have a copy.

Does anyone remember Mr Eden? or that big bloke who taught Maths - once squashed a fly with my maths book!

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 23:30 ----------

To Darryl Nugen, Yanina was in my class at Grange - we thought she was very exotic!

I remember the city hall and singing the fairy song. First time if thought of that in over 40 yrs lol

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 10:54 ----------

I was at grange from 1963-69.anyone remember going to the boys grammar school nxt door and listening to French through the earphones. The canteen was awful. How sad about the two houses they were beautiful but you don't realise this at the time. There were lots of rabbits in the grounds I remember and you could keep out of people's way in the large woods that surrounded the school

I've just remembered something that made me very popular with everyone (for a couple of days anyway)

My mum worked in a café and would occasionally take boarders, from one night to several months stay.

One family that stayed quite a while were French, a couple with a son about my age called Phillippe.

I arranged with the school that he could come to school for a day. The girls thought he was gorgeous and almost mobbed him as though he was a pop star.

I wonder if anyone on here remembers that?

Edit to add, it would have been about 1962.

I do remember going to Abbeydale Boys to use their language lab. Suzanne Brindley and I once freaked out the teacher (don't remember her name) when we started using the headphones like a radio and saying "BD to Z Victor 1, come in Z Victor1" - she thought she had inadvertently tuned into the police frequency!

Does anyone remember the name of the history American exchange teacher (xchanged for Miss Truswell)? I was in the A class at the Grange and one day she took us out via the bay window (which I'd never seen opened before) into the car park to see the solar eclipse. Unfortunately, our classroom was next to Rawlings' office - I'd never seen the old bat move so fast; she was out there calling "What are you doing out here with the girls?"

Was anyone unfortunate enough to be in the class with that wast-of-space woman who used to teach PE until she became too decrepit so changed to French and we got lumbered with her. She was going on about English grammar interminably and when someone (?Paula Brown) asked why we were doing English and not French, she came out with the classic "You'll never be able to speak French if you can't speak English proper!" I remember thinking that we were all stuffed and might as well just go home - who the hell employed her?

The other interesting class was RE with the woman who used to be a missionary. Someone was burning incense in the classroom and she started with the most likely culprit (not guilty that time) but sent her out of the classroom anyway, then one by one accused various girls but even when proved innocent, she sent them outside. Eventually there was nearly half the class out there and then - trouble! - Glister came along and asked why we were all outside. Even though not the culprits she made us go back in and apologise!

HAPPY DAYS ;)

• 1 month later...

I have just discovered this forum and am pleased to say I recognised quite a few names from when I attended Grange Grammar School for Girls. I was a pupil there from about 1959/1960 - 1964/65 (memories not so good these days). I remember Pat Rymell, Sheila Oates, Jennifer Holland, Jackie Perkins and many others. Jackie Perkins was in the party that went on a hiking/youth hostel holiday to Snowdonia, where she had a nasty fall. I went back to the youth hostel with her that day while everyone else had the longest day ever walking and came back exhausted. I remember Jackie and her sister emigrated to Australia (Cottesloe I think) and have often wondered what happened to them. If anyone can remember me or any of the above, please get in touch

I have just discovered this forum and am pleased to say I recognised quite a few names from when I attended Grange Grammar School for Girls. I was a pupil there from about 1959/1960 - 1964/65 (memories not so good these days). I remember Pat Rymell, Sheila Oates, Jennifer Holland, Jackie Perkins and many others. Jackie Perkins was in the party that went on a hiking/youth hostel holiday to Snowdonia, where she had a nasty fall. I went back to the youth hostel with her that day while everyone else had the longest day ever walking and came back exhausted. I remember Jackie and her sister emigrated to Australia (Cottesloe I think) and have often wondered what happened to them. If anyone can remember me or any of the above, please get in touch

Sheila Oates was my best mate, but sadly we lost touch after we left . I would love to know how and where she is now.

Sheila Oates was my best mate, but sadly we lost touch after we left . I would love to know how and where she is now.

Hi Minimo

I only wished I could remember a lot more. Unfortunately when we moved to South Wales I lost touch with everyone from school. Do you remember a Barbara Smith who lived in Darnall and was a member of the Salvation Army?

Has anyone ever heard from Jackie Perkins since she moved to Australia.

I caught up with Mrs Francis who took Maths and Biology I think after she moved down south to Egham, but that was many years ago. She was very pleased to hear from one of her former pupils.