What with all the Gay Bar hype???

Am I the only getting a little tired of these “we want a gay bar” nonsense? It seems to me that such proclamations are reactionary and not in the slightest thought through.

For instance. What is a “gay bar”? What purpose will it serve that is not served by existing bars? Will “straight” people not be allowed in? And if so, how will doormen know who is gay and who isn’t?

To cite a point, I seem to recall an extremely ill fated night at the Forum called Polysexual. Despite being a regular patron of the Forum for nearly ten years, I was informed one Friday that I would not be allowed in that night. I asked why and was informed that Polysexual was a gay night and only gay people would be allowed in. And apparently, I didn’t “look gay”

Not only did this policy infuriate just about everyone it crossed, it also showed how Sheffield is still in the dark ages about addressing sexuality. Having lived in London and Brighton, the whole point about gay areas is that like-minded people can go and mix with like-minded people. This does NOT mean its is a heterosexual exclusion zone.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Sheffield does not exactly have a huge gay scene. And bars like Forum, Halcyon, Dulo, Takapuna etc seem popular enough with a couple of gay guys I know.

If a “gay bar” where to open, I suspect it would turn into another uber pretenscious clique, just like so many other establishments in Sheffield that think a few downlighters, a plank of Walnut flooring and a Miu Miu crush at the bar somehow represents sophistication.

i agree though,were not different kinds of people,why dont gay people and straight people just hang out at the same bars?

you dont hear anyone calling out for straight bars because they dont like a gay crowd

Originally posted by THCAyle

i agree though,were not different kinds of people,why dont gay people and straight people just hang out at the same bars?

you dont hear anyone calling out for straight bars because they dont like a gay crowd

Agreed. There's only a moronic minority that would actually be opposed to this!

Quite surprised you were told you weren't allowed in at the Forum - thought the whole point of Polysexual was that it was for everyone?

As for the we want a gay bar "nonsense", I don't think anyone is arguing for total drinking segregation according to patrons' sexuality. But surely there's logic in there being a bar where gay people can go and meet potential partners??

You make it sound like any straight people venturing into a gay bar will be heckled and pelted with eggs! I've certainly always been made welcome in Dempseys, especially when the guy I go with is off on the pull and I'm left on my own like a lemon...

I've love to think that Sheffield was as forward thinking as the "why do they want their own bars" responses suggest... but sadly I'd imagine that an openly gay couple might not feel that comfortable in most of the bars in Sheffield on a saturday night

Mike I think you have a bit of a problem.

Where I live, there is one gay bar, only open on a Fri and Sat night. I never go, because I simply don't like it.

However, I go to Lloyds N1, Yates, Chicago's and Walkabout - These are all "str8" places - I enjoy going to them with friends, but I don't feel 100% happy in them.

Gay people can't "pull" or meet other gay people. It's hard. And like most str8 single people who go out, gay people like to pull too. I don't find myself in Public Loo's.

So I think gay bars are ace, take Canal St in Manchester. It's not just for gay people, everyone is welcome. Gay, str8, whatever - The atmosphere there is great.

You got some serious issues guy.

Archived