What with all the Gay Bar hype???

Originally posted by jake

I've love to think that Sheffield was as forward thinking as the "why do they want their own bars" responses suggest... but sadly I'd imagine that an openly gay couple might not feel that comfortable in most of the bars in Sheffield on a saturday night

So if I was out in a "Str8" bar and got off with another lad, how long would it take for me to have my head kicked in?

Im with you on that one trixiboi....that mikebayly neds to have a ood look look at himself in the mirror. He seems to think that he is a resonable, well adjusted kinda guy who has made a sensible and valid point

*hangs head and slowly shakes from side to side*

no mikebayly....you dont have a valid point.

Quote "Correct me if I am wrong, but Sheffield does not exactly have a huge gay scene. And bars like Forum, Halcyon, Dulo, Takapuna etc seem popular enough with a couple of gay guys I know.

If a “gay bar” where to open, I suspect it would turn into another uber pretenscious clique, just like so many other establishments in Sheffield that think a few downlighters, a plank of Walnut flooring and a Miu Miu crush at the bar somehow represents sophistication."

You're wrong....Sheffield does have a pretty big gay scene but its that fragmented (through things like not having somewhere decent to go for a drink where you're not running the risk of being beaten up) that it seems lie a smal scene.

In mentioning Dulo etc you are missing the point....they are nice places but they are straight bars!

For someone who doesn't seem to understand that much about the gay scene you do seem to have got a pretty good grasp of interior decorating....whats that all about?.....bit of a cliched stereotype but but coulnt help myself.

:-)

By the way mikebayly.....i wouldn't have called the discussions here thus far as being "hype".....would you rather it was all a bit more hush hush? You dont mind people doing that kind of thing as long as you dont hear about it??

I'll have to spring to mikes defence here I thought he made a really well balanced good point and wasn't being in anyway anti gay. I know more than a few people who complain that they can't go anywhere nice to meet potential partners and they're all straight. If it's such an easy thing to meet other 'straights' why is there such an interest in speed dating, online dating etc etc. Meeting someone you want to have more than a brief fling with is really difficult gay or straight.

Originally posted by mikebayly

Am I the only getting a little tired of these “we want a gay bar” nonsense? It seems to me that such proclamations are reactionary and not in the slightest thought through.

What the hell is your problem?!

It just seems like your trying to provoke a GAYS v STRAIGHTs debate on here or something.

I'm not gonna defend why I think Sheffield should have a decent gay bar as its all been said on the Forum before and if you had half a brain cell you would understand why.:loopy: :loopy:

Originally posted by THCAyle

but whats the point in dividing gay and straight people even more by hanging around in different bars?

UNITY IS THE ANSWER

discrimination gets noone anywhere

Well, the minnority of homophobic idiots out there are the ones stopping the unity going further at the moment. :| Nice idea, just not practical yet.

Archived