What with all the Gay Bar hype???

Originally posted by TrixieBoi

Its all very well saying that, but it's ******! Gay people won't ever be able to go into a "str8" bar and pull. It's as SIMPLE AS THAT.

Originally posted by nick2

Well I have, and I know several other people who have.

Originally posted by TrixieBoi

How did that work??

Originally posted by The_Sharp

How did that work??

One was a friend of a friend and we just got chatting (In All Bar One), I wasn't too sure but you can throw in comments and questions to check if you're barking up the wrong tree.

I met my current boyfriend in a hotel bar.

Originally posted by nick2

One was a friend of a friend and we just got chatting (In All Bar One), I wasn't too sure but you can throw in comments and questions to check if you're barking up the wrong tree.

I met my current boyfriend in a hotel bar.

Oh right! lol

Sorry i thought you meant you went in and pulled a straight bloke!

How does a bar become a gay bar in the first place? Like dempseys is now - how does it get a reputation and therefore become regularly frequented by gays (and avoided like the plague by most straight people)

And as for gays pulling in a bar (only gay people seem to call them straight bars) you have to realise that being gay is still a big faux pas even though society is much more liberal than it was a few years ago. Gay people must realise that it is strange for straight people to understand their sexuality and therefore some people may resort to violence, verbal abuse etc. Not condoning it one bit - but you have to realise it is still a thing that gets 'swept under the carpet' no matter how much you would wish otherwise.

Originally posted by The_Sharp

Oh right! lol

Sorry i thought you meant you went in and pulled a straight bloke!

God no, though I have come close a couple of times.

Originally posted by Lucky_13

How does a bar become a gay bar in the first place? Like dempseys is now - how does it get a reputation and therefore become regularly frequented by gays (and avoided like the plague by most straight people)

Word of mouth, plus gay magazines and newspapers publish the details.

Dempeys does have a reputation - but for some it's a dire reputation! In fairness, I've never been to Dempseys - as I object to the door charge they apparently impose.

Originally posted by Lucky_13

And as for gays pulling in a bar (only gay people seem to call them straight bars) you have to realise that being gay is still a big faux pas even though society is much more liberal than it was a few years ago. Gay people must realise that it is strange for straight people to understand their sexuality and therefore some people may resort to violence, verbal abuse etc. Not condoning it one bit - but you have to realise it is still a thing that gets 'swept under the carpet' no matter how much you would wish otherwise.

I think gay people all too readily understand the reaction of some (but not all) straight people, and that is one reason why we prefer to have our own drinking establishments. A vibrant gay scene is the answer, e.g., Manchester's Canal Street, London's Soho, Birmingham's gay village - where straight people are welcome, but gay people can relax and be at ease with their sexuality in an accommodating and friendly environment.

Sadly, I don't see that happening in Sheffield.

Originally posted by Bedhead

sorry to butt in, but if you pulled him he can't be straight!?

People experiment, you know the old saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it".

People also get drunk.

Archived