Car help / opinions Civic Type R

Hello I would like some input from any of the forums car experts. I am looking to buy a Honda Civic Type R, the car in question is on an 03 plate and looks to be in good condition it has full service history and 12 month MOT. The only issue is its done 91000 miles, it has only had two owners and the most recent is a lady who has had it for 3 years. The car has to last me 4 years and I do about 10000 miles a year meaning it will need to do 131000 without too much hassle. Does anyone who knows anything about Type R's or just cars in general have any advice on this.

The thing that is making me consider the car is there is another one exactly the same / same price and everything but that has already done 133000 miles also the car is nearly 200 miles away so dont want to drive to view without being sure.

Danny, you sure you want to do 4 years in one of those (saying this as "doing time" :D) ?

They are fabulous banzai cars, but renowned for being very uncomfortable (and that is a big understatement), as they have a very firm/hard ride.

IMHO, "lady owner" means nothing, as her partner/husband (if she has one) might have just put the V5 in her name and driven it (harder?) 99% of the time. What mileage did she put on in the last 3 years, btw?

At 91k, mileage isn't going to be much of an issue if (again that is a big if) it's been properly looked after and not abused. Hondas are particularly resilient and R-Types are specifically engineered for sustained abuse spirited driving. But still... I'd be wary of the usual for such a car: crash-repaired, stolen-recovered, etc, etc. Get an HPI and an RAC or AA inspection - to begin with.

Not looking for a one lady-owned and -driven Impreza R Sports, by chance? ;)

Danny, you sure you want to do 4 years in one of those (saying this as "doing time" :D) ?

They are fabulous banzai cars, but renowned for being very uncomfortable (and that is a big understatement), as they have a very firm/hard ride.

IMHO, "lady owner" means nothing, as her partner/husband (if she has one) might have just put the V5 in her name and driven it (harder?) 99% of the time. What mileage did she put on in the last 3 years, btw?

At 91k, mileage isn't going to be much of an issue if (again that is a big if) it's been properly looked after and not abused. Hondas are particularly resilient and R-Types are specifically engineered for sustained abuse spirited driving. But still... I'd be wary of the usual for such a car: crash-repaired, stolen-recovered, etc, etc. Get an HPI and an RAC or AA inspection - to begin with.

Not looking for a one lady-owned and -driven Impreza R Sports, by chance? ;)

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info! The car has a HPI certificate dated last week I did check that as drove 120 miles last week to view one that the seller ended up admitting was cat D just before I handed over the cash. Glad to hear that about the mileage as that was my main concern tbh I was always under the impression that petrol engines had, had it by 100k but I do also realise that Honda's are pretty well made and the full service history will help ease that worry. I am test driving one this afternoon to make sure my back can live with the harsh ride for 4 years.

I had one as a courtesy car once. Had the gear stick sticking out of the dashboard. Absolutely hated it.

Although my mate loves his.

I think it's a case of driving it and seeing what you think.

Yeah I noticed that, might take a bit of getting used too. Was the comfort pretty harsh aswell?

• 2 years later...

Just remember that Honda have never ever had a Vtech engine fail. EVER.

Therefore, look after it properly and it will look after you.

I had a 2007 version and it was absolutely brilliant. Yes the ride was harsh but you're buying a sport version so it's only to be expected.

Archived